Eraserhead

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Eraserhead

Post by MmzHrrdb »

In a nightmarish, post-apocalyptic city, Henry Spencer, a quiet man with an Eraserhead-like hairdo struggles with the bizarre circumstances that face him continuously. While dealing with the awful conditions of the city that surrounds him with giant machines that billow smoke and create a non-stop and inescapable noise, he learns that he is the new father to a mutant baby with extremely bizarre and in-human traits. Now Henry has to deal with the constant screaming of the mutant child and to somehow manage to take care of it.

The only way to describe this post-apocalyptic tale that David Lynch brings to life is that it is more of a piece of art than it is an actual movie to sit down with others to enjoy. This movie is disgusting, dark, memorable, and disturbing, yet, I couldn't turn my head away from this cinematically perfect movie for a single minute. Eraserhead is an enlightening experience with an almost never-ending amount of symbolism that represents a deeper and greater meaning behind what is actually shown. Some of the actions that are depicted in this film can seem completely out of the ordinary to the average viewer, and it's meant to be that way, but none of those bizarre actions go without meaning. Along with the endless amount of symbolism that goes behind the plot, David Lynch shows why he is a master at the art of film making with his incredible execution of cinematography. Within each and every shot of this film, Lynch successfully disturbs and creates an unforgettable atmosphere that will leave an imprint on every person that watches this film regardless of whether or not they actually understood everything. His use of lighting, ambient noise, shots of isolation in the setting and the shooting of this movie through a black and white camera, more than effectively accentuates Lynch's skill as a film maker.

Eraserhead is not a film for every person. In fact, this movie is not even aimed at entertaining the average movie watcher on any given day. It is for those people that like to analyze and decipher the hidden messages that are presented. One can easily say that this movie isn't simply just a movie at all, but a work of art that can be compared to the works of art by painters such Leonardo Da-Vinci and Pablo Picasso. Eraserhead is one the finest pieces of art that any person has ever conceived and without a doubt, it deserves to be considered amongst the best films in history.

97/100

Jeb
2387 Ratings

Re: Eraserhead

Post by Jeb »

Eraserhead to me will always be probably the most underrated Lynch film ever. It quite is simply outstanding in every aspect, I'm surprised very few people like it. :)

guana
542 Ratings

Post by guana »

I saw this for the first time a while ago, but I didn't really find any meaning to a lot of things in the film like you did. Personally I feel that often Lynch just wanted to do weird shit that seems like it means something. So I guess you could say that I didn't really "get it", but I'd be interested in reading about the "hidden messages" you found.

I still liked it a lot for other reasons. It's probably the creepiest and most disturbing movie I've ever seen. At the same time it's also pretty hilarious, the head scene had me laughing out loud. I'm not sure if that was intended though.

Jeb wrote:Eraserhead to me will always be probably the most underrated Lynch film ever. It quite is simply outstanding in every aspect, I'm surprised very few people like it. :)

Underrated? Basically every movie geek loves this movie.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

i'm a movie geek and i do NOT like ereaserhead at all, actually i'm pretty sure that blue velvet will be the only lynch movie i'll ever like.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

guana wrote:I saw this for the first time a while ago, but I didn't really find any meaning to a lot of things in the film like you did. Personally I feel that often Lynch just wanted to do weird shit that seems like it means something. So I guess you could say that I didn't really "get it", but I'd be interested in reading about the "hidden messages" you found.

You could honestly go on for hours discussing the symbolism of this movie. So i guess ill just give u a handy-dandy link that sums up more than what i even got out of it. I only got about 30% of what this website got out of it. Pretty interesting stuff. But, the analysis is still prolly not spot on because the only person that really knows what is going on behind this film is the mastermind himself, David Lynch.

http://www.geocities.com/~mikehartmann/ ... wolfe.html