New Title Information Page - Sponsor Testing

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
djross
5332 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: New Title Information Page - Sponsor Testing

Post by djross »

djross wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:25 am
6. Near the top of the Overview page, there is some initial cast and crew information, but it only includes one director: why not give the same amount of space for directors as for actors, that is, one line’s worth of space, so that a film with, say, two directors can have both listed at the top of the page? And why not a line for writers too?
Just to add a bit more about this point in particular: I'd say that only listing one director in that top part is more of a problem than I originally indicated. One starts to learn that it's misleading, because one assumes that there's one director, and then later realises one has been fooled by the fact that there's only one name at the top. But the eventual consequence is that one learns that actually looking at that top line doesn't convey meaningful information about how many directors a film has, and so one then feels compelled each time to scroll down to the bottom or click to Cast & Info in order to find out if it is true or not true that there is only one director. So for that reason, I really recommend not leaving it as it is, with just one director indicated at the top of the page.

djross
5332 Ratings

Post by djross »

MacSwell wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:38 pm
it was really great being able to easily scroll through dozens of reviews on a film’s page without having to do any clicking to load up more - seeing only ten on the updated page is definitely too few in my opinion. Reviews are the main attraction for me on the site.

For the record, I love the “dated” 2010 look - too many sites keep updating away from that and becoming so much more annoying to use - IMDb case in point.
Two good points.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

MacSwell wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:38 pm
At the moment the new film page isn’t remembering the user’s preferences for ordering ratings and reviews like the old page did, should be a simple fix.
Hmm... surprised by this, it should already be working the way you expect. I made a quick video showing it in action. It should remember your preference as you switch between films.

If you're still seeing issues, please report it using the Bug Submission form, and maybe a quick screen grab or something to help us reproduce the problem!

tpbradbury
3898 Ratings

Post by tpbradbury »

A refreshing change. Similar titles and the new stats feel like potentially significant breakthroughs, thanks very much. I found the imdb link after a little scrolling. May want to see if scrolling can be reduced and whether anything can be collapsed/compacted, thanks again, Tom

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

mpowell wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:38 am
This is a total re-imagining of the page, which introduces a few new features and makes the overall design much more modern (especially on mobile devices).
Video killed the radio star.
Mobile-friendly killed the Internet.

oplars
1316 Ratings

Post by oplars »

I have already voiced my initial reaction to the new version, but I will add a few things, now that I have tried it for some weeks.
I found the old version much more pleasing, as I had all the pieces of the puzzle gathered together in one place, so I could take in the entire scene at once.
For example: each review/TCI takes up too much and unnecessary space. In the old version, you could get an overview of users' ratings by just scanning down the page. Now one has to scroll to see just 10. Maybe give the option to configure it to 20 on the overview page.

I like the "similar titles"
Great with the collection page, but again it should be much more compressed so one doesn't have to scroll down > jump to next page > scroll down ....etc. There could be an option to exclude pictures (they serve no purpose but I guess it looks "attractive").

I thought IMDB was gone, but now I found it! At the bottom after a looong scrolling down..... Couldn't it fit well at the top of the "cast&info" page?

I hope that there will continue to be a choice for staying at the old version (or something similar to it - might just be an option called "Compact view").

There is a bug:
When clicking on a user in "all ratings" tab, it will jump back to "with review" tab, to that you have to click on "all ratings" tab again.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

oplars wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:47 pm
I hope that there will continue to be a choice for staying at the old version (or something similar to it - might just be an option called "Compact view").
+1

djross
5332 Ratings

Post by djross »

oplars wrote:
I found the old version much more pleasing, as I had all the pieces of the puzzle gathered together in one place, so I could take in the entire scene at once.
For example: each review/TCI takes up too much and unnecessary space. In the old version, you could get an overview of users' ratings by just scanning down the page. Now one has to scroll to see just 10. Maybe give the option to configure it to 20 on the overview page.
I agree that this is the biggest problem, and I'd say it goes to the heart of the ideas behind the redesign. Several of the responses in this thread seem to be making the same point (admittedly, including me), so to me that suggests it's a significant criticism.

lineuphere
4056 Ratings

Post by lineuphere »

djross wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:48 am
oplars wrote:
I agree that this is the biggest problem, and I'd say it goes to the heart of the ideas behind the redesign. Several of the responses in this thread seem to be making the same point (admittedly, including me), so to me that suggests it's a significant criticism.
Yes. I agree with this. The visual aesthetics are nice, but ultimately, the inflated layout is simply more work for the user.
I have faith that the designers will hit the bullseye, though.

JonSmith
978 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Yeah, I think most people in the thread agree that the layout takes too much space.