Music

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Svengali
1542 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Music

Post by Svengali »

My lastfm: http://www.lastfm.se/user/Herou

I'm a big fan of Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band. I have spent lots of time listening to Frank Zappa and various jazzists such as Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Sun Ra, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane and Anthony Braxton.

The past two years or so I've been getting into a lot of hip hop as well, first and foremost A Tribe Called Quest but also some Wu-Tang Clan, MF Doom, Das Racist, Black Moon and some instrumental stuff like J Dilla.

What first started out when I was like ten years old listening to stuff like 10cc, Queen, Supertramp etc. has changed some.

I try to listen as much classical music as possible as well, right now I'm trying to listen to some early sacred music, gregorian chants and such like Palestrina but even earlier composers such as Perotin and Leonin interests me greatly. Also the "avant garde" or at least modern composers of the 2000th century like Béla Bartók, György Ligeti, Anton Webern and more romanting stuff like Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev and Scriabin.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

Svengali wrote:My lastfm: http://www.lastfm.se/user/Herou

I'm a big fan of Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band. I have spent lots of time listening to Frank Zappa and various jazzists such as Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Sun Ra, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane and Anthony Braxton.

The past two years or so I've been getting into a lot of hip hop as well, first and foremost A Tribe Called Quest but also some Wu-Tang Clan, MF Doom, Das Racist, Black Moon and some instrumental stuff like J Dilla.

What first started out when I was like ten years old listening to stuff like 10cc, Queen, Supertramp etc. has changed some.

I try to listen as much classical music as possible as well, right now I'm trying to listen to some early sacred music, gregorian chants and such like Palestrina but even earlier composers such as Perotin and Leonin interests me greatly. Also the "avant garde" or at least modern composers of the 2000th century like Béla Bartók, György Ligeti, Anton Webern and more romanting stuff like Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev and Scriabin.

seconded.
except for Supertramp (always wanted to call a band Supertrump)
someone mentioned Discordance Axis - neat!
others: Mahler's bombastic-as-shit symphonies, Alberto Ginesterra and Enrique Granados, (especially played by pianist Alica de Laroccha), Bruckner, Sibelius, King Crimson (especially '72 - '74 and '81 - '84), Flipper, No Less, Eric Dolphy, Thelonious Monk, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Cliff, Pig Destroyer, Origin, Aphix Twin, Autechre, Beatles.

playing drums in crazy fucked-up bands over the last 20 years, currently in a reunited Soy and released this a couple months ago > http://sooooy.bandcamp.com/album/threelayer
first time I've done a recording without any cd or vinyl endproduct - just cyber the shit for free - fuck it.
my listening has been mainly of the deathgrind variety for quite some time now. :twisted:

yeah, right on - Kool Kieth in the house......."green shit is on your YEL-LOWS!" "is he weird?"(echo)

Svengali
1542 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

by Devol wrote:seconded.
except for Supertramp (always wanted to call a band Supertrump)
someone mentioned Discordance Axis - neat!
others: Mahler's bombastic-as-shit symphonies, Alberto Ginesterra and Enrique Granados, (especially played by pianist Alica de Laroccha), Bruckner, Sibelius, King Crimson (especially '72 - '74 and '81 - '84), Flipper, No Less, Eric Dolphy, Thelonious Monk, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Cliff, Pig Destroyer, Origin, Aphix Twin, Autechre, Beatles.

playing drums in crazy fucked-up bands over the last 20 years, currently in a reunited Soy and released this a couple months ago > http://sooooy.bandcamp.com/album/threelayer
first time I've done a recording without any cd or vinyl endproduct - just cyber the shit for free - fuck it.
my listening has been mainly of the deathgrind variety for quite some time now. :twisted:

yeah, right on - Kool Kieth in the house......."green shit is on your YEL-LOWS!" "is he weird?"(echo)

I don't really listen to Supertramp or any of those bands I mentioned in that part anymore, though - only when I want to get nostalgic and all 8-)

For bombastic-as-shit symphonies Shostakovich is probably the way to go, his 5th symphony in D minor, opus 47: IV Allegro non troppo. Or Symphony No. 4 in C minor opus 43: I Allegretto poco moderato.

Ah, Pig Destroyer - awesome shit right there. Allow me to include shit like Assück and more jazz inspired grindcore like Naked City.

My latest discovery is Death Grips and their new album The Money Store. Such great fucking songs like Get Got:

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

ok when you mentioned
Svengali wrote:Assück and more jazz inspired grindcore like Naked City.
I GOTTA mention those were maybe two of the coolest gigs I've ever seen - Assuck in '98, touring with Reversal of Man, whose bassist did double duty on that tour with Steve and Rob, who so simply.....fucking.....ruled. Gods. In 1990, Naked City did a three-city tour: NY, San Fran, and Tokyo. Me and a buncha knuckleheads recently graduated (me with my ill-capitalized-on bachelor's degree in creative writing) and celebrated by taking a plane down to San Fran for the most expensive gig I ultimately laid down money for, that's for shit sure. NC were absolutely *squirrel-flattening*, especially for their time, playing all their awesome shit from "Torture Garden" (with music charts in front of them!).
cool that you mentioned Bartok
I'll mention just a couple more because I could go on eternally otherwise:
Steve Kuhn
The Fall
Gang of Four
Cattle Decapitation's newest shit from a couple weeks ago is solid - maybe not as mindboggling as "Harvest Floor", but still - sheer bulldozing terror.
and thanks for the Death Grips word - phat (< remember that one?) stuff

lol - just noticed - you're TCI #112 at 2.06.

Excelsior
1624 Ratings

Post by Excelsior »

Don't understand the love for Bee Thousand, I think Alien Lanes is a much better album.

Top 10 favorite artists would pretty much be:
Stars of the Lid
Swans
Les Rallizes Denudes
John Coltrane
DJ Screw
Anton Webern
Jens Lekman
Basic Channel
Pickering Pick
Natural Snow Buildings

rateyourmusic.com is a pretty good website for cataloging music albums and what not. Doesn't have a PSI function like criticker though. Only seriously got into music about two years ago, I still have a lot of stuff to listen to. Been trying to listen to more metal lately.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Excelsior wrote:Don't understand the love for Bee Thousand, I think Alien Lanes is a much better album.

Both are pretty interchangeable for me. Pop at its best

Svengali
1542 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

by Devol wrote:ok when you mentioned
Svengali wrote:Assück and more jazz inspired grindcore like Naked City.
I GOTTA mention those were maybe two of the coolest gigs I've ever seen - Assuck in '98, touring with Reversal of Man, whose bassist did double duty on that tour with Steve and Rob, who so simply.....fucking.....ruled. Gods. In 1990, Naked City did a three-city tour: NY, San Fran, and Tokyo. Me and a buncha knuckleheads recently graduated (me with my ill-capitalized-on bachelor's degree in creative writing) and celebrated by taking a plane down to San Fran for the most expensive gig I ultimately laid down money for, that's for shit sure. NC were absolutely *squirrel-flattening*, especially for their time, playing all their awesome shit from "Torture Garden" (with music charts in front of them!).
cool that you mentioned Bartok
I'll mention just a couple more because I could go on eternally otherwise:
Steve Kuhn
The Fall
Gang of Four
Cattle Decapitation's newest shit from a couple weeks ago is solid - maybe not as mindboggling as "Harvest Floor", but still - sheer bulldozing terror.
and thanks for the Death Grips word - phat (< remember that one?) stuff

lol - just noticed - you're TCI #112 at 2.06.

Gosh darn it, sounds awesome.

I've never been much for post punk or new wave stuff though.

Detox
1980 Ratings

Post by Detox »

2012 is just a great year if your are interested in Rap Music. Great albums were released by Killer Mike, OC & Apollo Brown, Death Grips, EL-P and Billy Woods. And Asap Rocky is yet to come.

AFlickering
3011 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

top 50 eighties heavy metal utubegasms as ranked by aflickering's stupid fat brain w/ youtubes/blurbs
http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_vie ... 25&start=0

Svengali
1542 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

Detox wrote:2012 is just a great year if your are interested in Rap Music. Great albums were released by Killer Mike, OC & Apollo Brown, Death Grips, EL-P and Billy Woods. And Asap Rocky is yet to come.

The Gift for Gab's new album The Next Logical Progression is a complete killer as well. Definitely one of the best albums released in 2012 so far and the best hip hop album if you exclude The Money Store which is in a competition by itself.

Looking forward to releases by Animal Collective, Aesop Rock, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Baroness and Flying Lotus. Not sure if I forgot some...