Girly Films

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mery
97 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Girly Films

Post by mery »

Please don't flame the newbie but I recently saw a film that ranks highly on the "girly" scale for me. It was Letters to Juliet.

Summary: By responding to a letter addressed to Shakespeare's tragic heroine Juliet Capulet, a young American woman (Amanda Seyfried) vacationing in Verona, Italy, sets in motion a series of events that leads her -- and the missive's lovelorn author (Vanessa Redgrave) -- in search of romance.

So for me it basically had everything I needed in a girly movie. It had a beautiful location, that makes you want to get on a plane immediately :P It has several stories going at once which were intertwined and it made me cry at the end. Of course, you can't forget having the luminous Vanessa Redgrave grace the screen again. She is getting older but still has that "twinkle" in her eye that I wish more actresses would have as it made it believable for me.

I'm sure there are several other movies better than this one, but I have to say that this year I think this is my favorite romantic movie so far.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Girly Films

Post by ShogunRua »

So what's the subject of this thread again? Romcoms, "Letters to Juliet", "girly" films, what makes them good, or all of the above?

mery
97 Ratings

Post by mery »

I guess the first subject would be Girly Films.... maybe it's hard for a guy to understand the pull of these movies? You know, those movies we force our significant others to go and see? The movies where we are sitting with a tissue in our hand as the movie ends? :P

So let me clarify a little bit if I may...

Are there any other girly films that have caught your attention? Or do you find this genre a waste of time and energy and they should just stop making these movies.

Sidenote: Meg Ryan was the "it" girl, then it was Julia Roberts. I'm trying to figure out who is the "new" actress who does these types of movies so well.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mery wrote:I guess the first subject would be Girly Films.... maybe it's hard for a guy to understand the pull of these movies?

I have no clue what you're talking about.

mery wrote:So let me clarify a little bit if I may...

Are there any other girly films that have caught your attention? Or do you find this genre a waste of time and energy and they should just stop making these movies.

What is a "girly" film? What does it mean? Is it a stupid way of saying "romantic comedy"? Or is it something else? If it's the former, yes, there are a number of romcoms I have enjoyed, and a few that were even great. But it's been two posts now, and you haven't explained what this topic is supposed to be about.

mery wrote:Sidenote: Meg Ryan was the "it" girl, then it was Julia Roberts. I'm trying to figure out who is the "new" actress who does these types of movies so well.

What the hell is an "it girl"? Is it a stupid way of saying "famous actress that stars in a lot of mainstream romantic comedies"?

I feel like I'm studying an alien language here.

mery
97 Ratings

Post by mery »

Hahaha! And the flaming starts! While you are an expert and I am a lowly newbie, instead of critiquing me and what I am writing why not just answer the question if you so feel inclined. If you don't understand what I am getting at, no need to read this thread (said in a very nice voice).

All I can say is I love these types of movies and hope to get a nice discussion going rather than a poster letting me know my terminology is not up to par.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mery wrote:Hahaha! And the flaming starts!

I'm not flaming; I want you to clearly explain what it is you're talking about. Again, what is a "girly" movie?

mery
97 Ratings

Post by mery »

Please reread what you wrote, it was not very polite, but that's ok.

If you want claification, then I would say a girly movie is more of the romantic nature. Boy meets girl, loses girl then gets her back. That is usually how they all play out, no?

Anymore questions I can help you with? ;)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

mery wrote:Or do you find this genre a waste of time and energy and they should just stop making these movies.

Maybe. But, I'm not a fan of chick flicks. They're usually very shallow and sugary IMO.
There are some good ones, like When Harry Met Sally, but it seems like they've gotten worse in recent years.

mery wrote:Sidenote: Meg Ryan was the "it" girl, then it was Julia Roberts. I'm trying to figure out who is the "new" actress who does these types of movies so well.

Rachel McAdams?

mery
97 Ratings

Post by mery »

^fair enough....

Another name that comes to mind is Amy Adams as Reece is getting a little long in the tooth :P

I read I think in Entainment Weekly that it's a wide known opinion Angelina Jolie is the only current actress that can pull off action films.

JooJoo
6023 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I have a hard time believing shogun couldn't connect the dots from 'girly film' to 'chick flick'. It's a pretty well-known term, although I do agree, a vague one. I'd say either some early Woody Allen rates at the top, Manhattan is particularly rommy (with a side of com), or All The Real Girls if I'm in the mood for some angsty, new age romance. The opening to ATRG is 100% heart-melting goodness.

and as for women in action roles - nobody holds a candle to Milla Jovovich. No matter how many shit Resident Evil movies she appears in.
Last edited by JooJoo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.