Expand the Kumpel system

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Magb
1062 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Expand the Kumpel system

Post by Magb »

It has occurred to me recently that the current Kumpel system lacks some of the functionality you would expect it to have. The most important thing is probably that people have no way of seeing if other people have gekumpeled them, which kind of defeats the whole point, doesn't it? In fact, it might be better to have the Kumpel system be symmetrical. That is, when someone adds you as a Kumpel a message is sent to you asking if you want to do the same in return or what have you. You know, like Facebook.

Another thing is that the website doesn't really give you any sort of special indication when you see the name of a kumpel somewhere -- notably in the Ratings field on the Film Information page. I know that you can filter the list using the "Show just my kumpels" link, but it would be nice if it also showed some simple image next to their usernames indicating which users are your kumpels -- like a big K or a smiley face or something.

If you want to be really ambitious you could expand or supplement the whole Kumpel system by allowing people to start specialized groups centered on any topic. Some taste-tracking websites such as LibraryThing benefit greatly from having that functionality. Actually, the more I think about this the more useful I think it would be.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Expand the Kumpel system

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the suggestions!

We agree that it'd be useful to see who has marked you as a Kumpel, and have added that as an enhancement to be worked on. However, we are purposely not keeping it symmetrical. We figure that if, say, mpowell loves KGB's reviews and wants to keep up-to-date on what he's been watching, it's something that shouldn't require KGB's prior approval. Marking another user as your "Kumpel" is completely non-intrusive by design... but still, it would be interesting to see who's marked you.

The idea about more easily being able to see who's your Kumpel in lists is an idea that we've already got noted in our database of enhancements. We definitely agree on that.

Your third suggestion is interesting, too. We don't really have the time right now to expand in that direction, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. In the meantime, we hope that the forums help people with similar, specific tastes find each other!

babamots
850 Ratings

Re: Expand the Kumpel system

Post by babamots »

I would also be very happy to see whether anyone has kumpeled me and agree that symmetry should not be required: I follow the reviews of several people I have never met.

I would also like to suggest that users be able to enter names for their kumpels. If a user does not wish to reveal his name to everyone, he can go by njcq44455, but I know some of my kumpels personally and would have an easier time keeping up with them if I could tag them with their real names.

One of the things I like about Criticker is how much simpler it is than Netflix or Facebook. I don't care for the idea of forming groups for that reason. (Your kumpel has become a "Fan of Hobbit Toes!" Would you like to join?)