Should Anthology series be catalogued differently?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Should Anthology series be catalogued differently?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

The nature of anthology series, means that in many cases they would be better classified & catalogued differently than how imdb and criticker currently do so.

For example, Imdb currently lists all The Wonderful World of Disney installments as episodes of the The Wonderful World of Disney TV show, when in actuality they were all basically separate TV Movies, just released under the Wonderful World branding and playing during it's dedicated time slot. And there are a lot of older anthology series that are like this, especially from the 50s and 60s.

Another good example would be FX's American Horror Story and American Crime Story series. Each season is a completely separate stand-alone mini-series with it's own title (eg. American Horror Story: Asylum). American Horror Story is functionally 11 different mini-series connected under one branding. While, in general I don't think that independent seasons of TV shows should be listed on criticker, in those two cases it's seems really obvious to me that they should be.
Last edited by CosmicMonkey on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Should Anthology series be catalogued differently?

Post by mpowell »

This is a good question -- I agree it's not something we need to allow for every TV Series, but there are certain ones where it makes a lot of sense.

I'll make a note to look into how we handle Anthology Series, and see if there's a way in which we can do it better.