Something is wrong with Recent Rankings

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
TheAlliance
1750 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Something is wrong with Recent Rankings

Post by TheAlliance »

Something is wrong with Recent Rankings (in 'Your Profile') and Recent Kumpel Activity lately. I thought it was a temporary byproduct of some changes or work in progress, but it's been 2-3 days now.

When you're not logged in you get the error-message 'invalid' when you try to post or reply in the forum. I suppose a more clearer errormessage would be better,.. or something :)

When you login it should display your accountname properly topright of the page. (If you login as 'rAndOM' and you're registered as 'Random' then it should show as 'Random' regardless of what you use as logintext, as long as the letters are correct)

What is the idea behind ignoring films? It's either you saw a film or not, how can you ignore a film without seeing it [You're assuming you probably don't like it or?] and if you saw it why not just rate it? And even if it's a shitty film... it probably won't show up in recommendations..

Wishlist/Remembered films, i still think it's kinda weird you can only(?) see it by filtering your films...and of course the missing PSI's, but i believe that was a cpu/database issue.

Keep it up guys :)

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

You are keeping us on our toes!!

Thanks very, very much for pointing out that first issue with the Recent Rankings and Kumpel Rankings. It was indeed related to the recent change for countries... we were so excited to get that feature out there, that our testing was not as solid as it should've been. I've fixed that now.

I've also submitted bugs for "Better Error for Guest on Forum", and "Use registered name for display" (that last one really surprised me... I guess we've just never tested that at all). We'll get to them as soon as we get a chance.

The idea behind ignoring films is to remove certain movies from your Criticker experience. We had a lot of users complain that, for example, A Scanner Darkly was always their top recommendation and they had no intention of seeing it. So, we allow you to "ignore" it, which means it should never appear as a recommendation again.

We have bigger plans for the Wishlist, which we hope to get to soon... so I won't get into that too much yet. We agree that it's not entirely useful in its current form.

Thanks again for the comments -- and if you see anything else you think looks wonky, let us know. Our development "team" still only consists of vincente and myself, so we need all the extra eyes we can get.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We got the "Better Error for Guest on Forum" bug fixed... thanks for catching that. We've entirely removed the option for guests to reply to posts, and display a better error message (and link to sign up!) when they try and create a new topic.

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

You only seem to have fixed the Recent rankings in the display that shows your last 5. If you go to all your rankings and got to the Ordered By Date Ranked options, those are still ranked by score.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

PeaceAnarchy - We've cleaned up those lists now. They'll update daily from now on, provided you've ranked a film in the last 24 hours. Once they've updated, you should see that the order date is correct. Thanks for pointing this out! I'm going to make a more detailed post about Feed changes in a second.

Grit
799 Ratings

Post by Grit »

There seems to be another problem with the recent rankings box on my profile page. For some reason it doesn't seem to be updating. Could be a backlog of entries I suppose.

EDIT: For some weird reason Ocean's 12 which I ranked today has appeared, but 3:10 to Yuma which I also ranked today and War of the Worlds which I ranked yesterday have not. Maybe things will just pan out on their own.

AFlickering
3011 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

Yep, my review of The Killing (from about 7 hours ago) hasn't appeared in the profile recent rankings dropdown either

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Okay, I think we've fixed this issue. It was due to a problem writing to logfiles on the server. Your recent rankings should look correct now -- if not, they should be updated when you rank another film. I checked out Aflickering's recent rankings, and do see the Killing there.

Thanks for alerting us to the issue!

Scottathon
2357 Ratings

Post by Scottathon »

My recent rankings also still seem to be wonky. I ranked Stripes and Joe Strummer: the Future is Unwritten for the first time last night. Stripes doesn't show up at all, and the date in the XML for recent rankings for Joe Strummer: the Future is Unwritten says February 11.

This is by no means a big deal, but I just thought I'd let you guys know.

AFlickering
3011 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

mpowell wrote:I checked out Aflickering's recent rankings, and do see the Killing there.

that's just 'cause i deleted and re-submitted it, which always seems to make it appear anyway. but yeah, i've not had this problem again since then