"Hateship Loveship"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Hateship Loveship"

Post by Stewball »

Includes ***spoiler***, so marked.

This is another one to add to the list of recent superlative female performances in the last few years. They just keep coming. If a lack of action or "character driven" defines a chick-flick, then I guess this one qualifies. But for me, its tone just doesn't put it in that category. And even for those who don't believe in awards, the melding of the truly imaginative screenplay with Kristen Wiig's superb, often wordless performance of it, would probably prompt a lot of them to make an exception for this magnificent film.

In the scene with the Chinese food, and taking it in the scene's context, Kristen delivered the most wicked grin ever recorded in film history. It makes an artistic set piece to accompany Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile in oil and canvas, only here you know what prompted it.

[spoiler]In the last scene where Kristen stands in front of her unintended benefactor (Sami Gayle), listening to her explaining her cookie cutter plans for the future to someone, you can feel Kristen weighing her options for a response. When Sami rudely asks "What do you want?", it makes up Kristen's mind for her, and she responds perfectly, "I have what I want" (instead of possibly helpful suggestion that she consider a career in writing). I thought at first they'd missed the boat there, but then I realized the audience could savor both, while Sami's character could wallow on her shallow journey towards square-filling non-fulfillment. That double spoken/unspoken statement is another milestone for me as well[/spoiler]. 95/100

Be warned, I'm obviously in the minority. I'll never understand, which is why I've stopped trying.
Last edited by Stewball on Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: "Hateship Loveship"

Post by Stewball »

Significantly edited the OP.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

It was brought up to me elsewhere that this was a "chick flick" because the guy (Guy Pearce) is such a looser. Yes, men who are loosers or general low-lifes lower than women, is usually a dead giveaway. But the way she gets him out of his lowliness in this is completely original. I mean, finding his stash and not only leaving it there but not mentioning it, is unheard of.

I realize I'm working in a gray area here, s'why I'm anxious to hear other opinions from people who've actually seen it--that I can cross examine. I know that's a terrible specter to contemplate ("the devils know, and tremble"), but hey, put your money where your soul is.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

The only thing I don't like about the movie is the title, so here are a few suggestions, for what it's worth:

How to Have What You Want

Don't Be Careful What You Wish For

And my personal favorite:
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window

I actually made beef stew and biscuits yesterday. Hadn't had them in years. The whole experience was probably what inspired the expression, "comfort food".

mattorama12
3096 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

bowfinger
2841 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

"An empty barrel makes the most noise."