Aronofskis Wrestler

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
NathanDarko
4244 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Aronofskis Wrestler

Post by NathanDarko »

Hey Buddy´s yesterday I´ve seen Aronofskis new Movie Wrestler...and what can I say I never thought that Rourke is such a great Actor..would love to see him getting the Oscar in a few Weaks. What do you think about that Flick ? Especially I liked that the Movie felt like some kind of doku..it grabbed me from the first minute till the end...Pii was great requiem for a dream too the fountain was really disappointing but Wrestler is Aronofskis best Movie I think.My first Movie Highlight 2009 with "Curious case of benjamin button"

prowler
941 Ratings

Re: Aronofskis Wrestler

Post by prowler »

can't really agree with you.. then again i thought requiem for a dream was pretty bad so we're probably not on the same wavelength here :)
the wrestler is a well made film, had me captivated through most of it, rourke does a great job, but the relationships with the 2 women are just cliche'd plot devices aronofsky uses to ultimately get to his forced feel-good ending. sure, lots of films do that, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, but i guess i was expecting more.

i gave it a 77 i think, pretty high score. it's a good flick don't get me wrong, but i think people are overrating it.

when it comes to this kind of movie, i'll stick with Raging Bull thank you very much.

NoSex
1988 Ratings

Post by NoSex »

prowler wrote:the 2 women are just cliche'd plot devices aronofsky uses to ultimately get to his forced feel-good ending.

i don't really understand this interpretation. well, i guess i sort of do. i just definitely just came out of this film with a far more depressive sense of the entire experience. i found nothing at all feel-good about the ending, i just thought that that was his intoxication, his escape. but, it was a lie (like professional wrestling really is, even if it is a lie that breaks bones - - hopefully this was an intentional metaphor). dead man jumping, really.

i suppose this could just be a result of my personal pessimism & cynicism, but... i still don't understand the happiness that people are somehow choking out of this movie. aside from that, i think your evaluation of the film is rather accurate. it's supremely overrated, but pretty good nonetheless. just, it's not anything i would imagine ever wanting to see again.

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

yep i have a similar interpretation.. it's obvious that in his final speech he's lying to himself, and the film is forced to end on that "glorious" note.. in a way that's cool, wouldn't want it to be completely realistic, but i also felt a bit cheated.

as for the relationship bits, they're not bad, but they felt formulaic and were used to set the film on a typical route where we feel bad for the protagonist and really want him to succeed in the end.

the film is supposed to be non-judgmental, with the whole realistic feel and ambiguous ending, yet the story is obviously meant to manipulate our feelings.. this kinda bugged me.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

prowler wrote:the 2 women are just cliche'd plot devices aronofsky uses to ultimately get to his forced feel-good ending.

SPOILERZ ahead

Yeah, the ol' protagonist who's burned all his bridges and is down on his luck presumably kills himself rather than continuing his attempt to reform his lonely life. That old Hollywood shtick.

What ending wouldn't have been forced? If the stripper cheered him on and his daughter takes a U-turn forgives him? Obviously not that, so what is this optimally realistic ending that you're envisioning?

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

the stripper not making the show, the ram not giving a speech and fighting poorly, ultimately losing his support from the crowd or just falling flat? i don't know

obviously the ending was in tune with the way things had been evolving, and it worked. my problem is the whole direction the film took in the latter half... maybe i'm being too harsh, but that's just the feeling i was left with

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

o i see.

Jellysauce
1130 Ratings

Post by Jellysauce »

i really want to see it but ill have to wait till its out on dvd because its not playing anywhere near here.

westknife
326 Ratings

Post by westknife »

prowler wrote:the relationships with the 2 women are just cliche'd plot devices aronofsky uses to ultimately get to his forced feel-good ending.

lmao prowler you 'tard, he breaks off his relationships with the only people in his life who he cares about, then dies of a heart attack, a lonely and broken man. the farthest thing possible from a "feel-good ending"

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

yeah probably feelgood wasn't the right term, it's just this sentiment of elation you get from seeing someone follow his shitty destiny. same feeling that's been induced by many other movies before it, in some cases better than here.