Fight Club

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
theficionado
1908 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Fight Club

Post by theficionado »

HorrorMaster wrote:
theficionado wrote:Why is Kill Bill exempt from this criticism though?

Because "Kill Bill" doesn't take itself seriously as a political statement.

Fight Club is about as tongue-in-cheek as it gets.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

theficionado wrote:
HorrorMaster wrote:
theficionado wrote:Why is Kill Bill exempt from this criticism though?

Because "Kill Bill" doesn't take itself seriously as a political statement.

Fight Club is about as tongue-in-cheek as it gets.

I'm going to have to agree with theficionado here. I'm not sure how anyone can view "Fight Club" and not get that it is satirical.

NoSex
1988 Ratings

Post by NoSex »

Melvin Smif wrote:
theficionado wrote:Fight Club is about as tongue-in-cheek as it gets.

I'm going to have to agree with theficionado here. I'm not sure how anyone can view "Fight Club" and not get that it is satirical.

satire is most often a political device.

nonetheless, despite the humor fight club, it's fairly obvious that its author supposes his work to be outwardly political. first dismantling capitalism & consumerism, then... in an embarrassing front to intellectual integrity, affirming capitalism and dismantling violent revolt as an enemy to love. YAWN.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

NoSex wrote:satire is most often a political device.

nonetheless, despite the humor fight club, it's fairly obvious that its author supposes his work to be outwardly political. first dismantling capitalism & consumerism, then... in an embarrassing front to intellectual integrity, affirming capitalism and dismantling violent revolt as an enemy to love. YAWN.

I've missed your posts. Image

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

See, what I would suggest it does is, albeit with an incredible amount of wit, pander to this sense of male outrage about the feminization of the workplace and the diminishment of male privilege, then pull the rug under the people most receptive to that message to reveal the arrested development, sociopathy and conformist conservatism that drive that same sense of outrage.

And does it affirm capitalism in its takedown of masculine entitlement? The destruction of the financial infrastructure is viewed pretty romantically in that parting shot, isn't it?

HorrorMaster wrote:

I've missed your posts. Image

But that's not what you've been arguing. You've been arguing that it's nihilist, not that it upholds the status quo.