Your thoughts on Gangs of New York?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Dominoes1992
594 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Your thoughts on Gangs of New York?

Post by Dominoes1992 »

I thought it was great.

90/100

omgfridge
2881 Ratings

Re: Your thoughts on Gangs of New York?

Post by omgfridge »

Your thoughts were truly inspiring.

I think I like it more than most of my higher TCIs. I just found there were a whole lot of great scenes but when you look at the cast its hardly surprising. Obviously its not high on Scorsese's yet I find it to be entertaining.

JooJoo
6025 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I think it's a movie worth thinking about.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I feel the need to see it again, I ranked it way lower than I remember liking it. Overall there were some fantastic scenes and it was a pretty cool film but the last act really slowed things down.

Dominoes1992
594 Ratings

Post by Dominoes1992 »

OMGFridge wrote:Your thoughts were truly inspiring.

Well, if you're going to be an ass about it...

Should I SPOILER warning here?

Yes, I thought that it had a lot of great scenes. One of my favorites is when Bill is shot the first time in the theater and he pulls out his knife and says: "You see this knife? I'm gonna teach you to speak English with this fucking knife!"

Also, the scene where he find's out about Amsterdam and brands him. I thought it was well shot like most of the Scorsese films that I've seen which admittedly are restricted to his more well known works so far. Strong performances and I liked the ending shot of New York through the years.

Overall great movie.

Does that suffice, sir?

djross
5357 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JooJoo
6025 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

dom wrote:
OMGFridge wrote:Your thoughts were truly inspiring.

Well, if you're going to be an ass about it...

Should I SPOILER warning here?

Yes, I thought that it had a lot of great scenes. One of my favorites is when Bill is shot the first time in the theater and he pulls out his knife and says: "You see this knife? I'm gonna teach you to speak English with this fucking knife!"

Also, the scene where he find's out about Amsterdam and brands him. I thought it was well shot like most of the Scorsese films that I've seen which admittedly are restricted to his more well known works so far. Strong performances and I liked the ending shot of New York through the years.

Overall great movie.

Does that suffice, sir?

I wouldn't say it's too much to start a topic out with some incentive for discussion that goes beyond "I like [blank], what do you think?". It's a bad habit that newcomers to a board get into and need to develop out of. DDL is the obvious stand-out so it should be a given anything he has a hand in comes out a winner. I personally loved the mix of realism and over-the-top antics the movie gets into as a comment on the times. Also agree the end bits taper off and makes me think less of it.

JooJoo
6025 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

damn, I didn't see djross' post. Now I just sound like some derivative forum monitor or something

Dominoes1992
594 Ratings

Post by Dominoes1992 »

I wouldn't say it's too much to start a topic out with some incentive for discussion that goes beyond "I like [blank], what do you think?". It's a bad habit that newcomers to a board get into and need to develop out of.

I suppose so. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

All it really has going for it is DDL and the period detail. Everything else kinda sucks - the narration, the dreadfully cheesy ending shot, DiCaprio, Diaz, the weak anachronistic music choices. You can feel the sprawl, and what little that is there in the film isn't enough to keep it all the interesting - it certainly isn't particularly emotionally, visually, intellectually or narratively engaging.