Her (2013) - is it not boring?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
VorpalKitten
768 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Her (2013) - is it not boring?

Post by VorpalKitten »

I couldn't get through the movie, as nothing but the video game he was playing was remotely interesting. Otherwise just a boring guy saying boring things.

I know different people have different tastes and I'm just the one of the outs this time, but it baffles me why the movie has so many really high reviews.

I'm not just a dumb action person or anything, I loved Moon and Birdman and hate the Transformers movies...

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Her (2013) - is it not boring?

Post by ShogunRua »

VorpalKitten wrote:I couldn't get through the movie, as nothing but the video game he was playing was remotely interesting. Otherwise just a boring guy saying boring things.

I know different people have different tastes and I'm just the one of the outs this time, but it baffles me why the movie has so many really high reviews.

I'm not just a dumb action person or anything, I loved Moon and Birdman and hate the Transformers movies...

Yeah, I largely agree. It's a formulaic romance movie with only two differences; the love interest is an AI, and he doesn't get the girl in the end. That's it. It's also very drawn-out, and could have easily been a half hour shorter.

The video games, especially the one about earning points for being a good mother, were the highlight of the picture for me, too.

VinegarBob
4159 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

On another forum I used to frequent someone started a thread called 'Is boring a legitimate criticism?' It lasted for about 50 pages. The broad consensus in the end was that it wasn't. I think I probably agree because anyone can say any movie is boring. It doesn't really mean anything. Different people find different stuff interesting. I'm sure there would be a ton of people saying Bela Tarr's films are boring, but I wouldn't. Anyway, I'm sure Stewball will be along soon to help explain why Her isn't 'boring' :)

VorpalKitten
768 Ratings

Post by VorpalKitten »

Rumplesink wrote:On another forum I used to frequent someone started a thread called 'Is boring a legitimate criticism?' It lasted for about 50 pages. The broad consensus in the end was that it wasn't. I think I probably agree because anyone can say any movie is boring. It doesn't really mean anything. Different people find different stuff interesting. I'm sure there would be a ton of people saying Bela Tarr's films are boring, but I wouldn't. Anyway, I'm sure Stewball will be along soon to help explain why Her isn't 'boring' :)

Haha well, shouldn't boring be the most legitimate criticism? The whole point of movies is to keep you from being bored. Some make you sad instead of entertained or something, but never bored.

Is it possible to convince someone that a thing isn't boring? That would be neat if possible, then I could finish the movie.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

I could listen to Scarlett Johansson read the phone book and it wouldn't be boring.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

No, it's not boring

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

The onus isn't on other people--you're the one who has to explain (not "convince" necessarily) to us why you disliked the movie. The problem is that "boring" is too broad of a criticism by itself. Analyze why it bored you. Tell us what the most boring part was, and think of a more specific adjective than "boring" to describe it.

but the video game he was playing was remotely interesting.

"Interesting." Howso? Another person could've found that to be the most "boring" part. You seem to understand what you like/dislike on a gut level, but you need to intellectualize and articulate. I'm one of those people who thinks art/movies are 100% subjective. As long as you understand your own taste and can clearly state your opinions, they're valid.
Last edited by Bojangles on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

^^To piggyback on myself, sometimes if I can't identify why I liked/disliked/was bored by a movie, I'll read (professional) reviews. A good critic is insightful and is usually analytical by nature. Read negative reviews and determine whether or not you agree with the reviewer's criticisms, and go from there. Or go to Her's criticker page and sort the reviews by tier. Read the shit reviews. Chances are someone out there feels the same way you do, but is better able to articulate it.

I find that the best movies are the ones where you are completely invigorated, but you can't quite explain why. And the worst movies are the ones where you're completely disgusted or bored, and can explain exactly why.

-------

Update: the very very bottom review for Her on Criticker is: "boring"

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Bojangles wrote:Update: the very very bottom review for Her on Criticker is: "boring"

lol the last rotten review on rotten tomatoes is this:

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Some think the opposite of boring is entertaining. But I think the opposite is something interesting; and to do that it has to be challenging, with engaging characters and impart significant meaning(s). Her is my all time favorite film because it does all that, covering a lot of issues in a popular venue like movies. Anyone wanting to look a little deeper can go here: http://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4312&f=14#p42669

I will say that many people that were turned off by this film were driven so by the idea that a person could have a real relationship with an AI. I think it's possible, but as the film indicates, ultimately we are incompatible--they will outgrow us. Add to that the turnoff science is for many people and it's a wonder any kind of a significant number of people liked it.

BTW, I think the title character is not Samantha, but Amy. She's been carrying a torch for him since they first met, and her patience is finally rewarded at the end.