The Silence of the Lambs - please explain

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

The Silence of the Lambs - please explain

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I want to know why this movie gets so much praise. While watching this movie I had never been more confused and unsure of what I've just seen on screen. If I'd watched it in Japanese with no sub-titles it would not have made it any less difficult to comprehend. I'm not bashing the movie I just want to know what it's about, because this is the only movie I've seen in my life that is so confusing I have actually been physically unable to distinguish what it's actually about.

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Re: The Silence of the Lambs - please explain

Post by Filligan »

It's about an FBI agent (Foster) who seeks the advice of an incarcerated killer named Hannibal (Hopkins) to find and track down a serial killer on the loose. It gets praise, I think, because the story is wonderfully tense, the acting and characters introduced are so wickedly refreshing, and the screenplay is flawless.

JooJoo
6023 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

where exactly did you get lost in this movie, just what parts confused you?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

JooJoo wrote:where exactly did you get lost in this movie, just what parts confused you?

I thought the beginning was superb and it got even better when Hannibal was introduced, which is a truly classic thriller moment, but I just get lost after Clarice leaves the mental institution. I obviously knew what was happening in the same way you know someone from Japan is saying words when they speak, but that's different from understanding what the person is saying which is basically my relationship with this movie. The main reason for this is because I'm not real big on extremely complex movies with tonnes of fast-moving sequences involving dialogue, and such, but there are movies like that which I've been able to understand so I don't know why it's just this one.

It's a shame because I really like the movie. The only reason I haven't given it a grade higher than 88 is because I don't get it.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

This isn't really a complex film. Characters in the film are complex yes but the story is plain. She is looking for the serial killer and Hannibal is helping. Meanwhile he is trying to find a way to escape from prison. If you are really that confused, you can read the plot synopsis. It may be helpful. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102926/synopsis