Funny People

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
Tripwyre
1866 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Funny People

Post by Tripwyre »

Funny People (2009)

Usually when I give a glowing score to this sort of film, I have to preface it by saying "Okay, so I know this movie really isn't all that, but it's a favourite, so..." (see: High Fidelity). Not this time.

Easily Apatow's best work, this is his first truly Great film. While it is a long, sprawling movie, it is so rich with character detail I don't think there's much that could be cut without hurting the story. The acting is exceptional from everyone, and while I had my doubts about Mann going in (wife-casting rarely works), she really delivers. It's career-best work for all three leads.

My favourite quality of the film was that, after drawing laughs from the troubles of life-losers like perpetual virgin Andy and super-stoner Ben, Apatow casts his gaze on a man who should be the image of success and finds that he has worse problems than any of them. In dealing with death, isolation and regret become major themes in the film: while George is quick to make nerd-jokes at a MySpace gig ("The more friends you have on MySpace, the less you have in real life!"), his life is not much different. He doesn't have time for computers, but celebrity has the same effect -- the more people love you, the more hopelessly alone you become. Indeed as the film went on, George reminded me more and more of Daniel Plainview, a likeable man despite his glaring flaws, who's lost touch with humanity at the cost of success. The difference is, this cold heart longs to be redeemed.

The movie will come under fire for it's third act, or The San Fransisco Chapter. This is where the movie dials down the humour (not completely, but the dick jokes fly with less frequency) as the George/Laura drama ramps up. While this might not be what people are expecting from an Apatow film, it works. All of it. The movie often flirts with cliche, but resolves itself in natural, realistic ways. The airport sequence especially is one big movie cliche that gets flipped on its head, much like it would in reality. It's awkward and messy, but so is life, and every character here truly feels like a real person.

A very personal film for me. I loved it.

97/100

Jeb
2387 Ratings

Re: Funny People

Post by Jeb »

Nice review. I also found this to be Apatow's most personal and arguably best film to date.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I hate to compare Apatow to PTA, but this is the kind of redemption story I could see PTA doing. OF course, PTA would have made a masterpiece, Apatow just made his first tolerable movie.

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

It's odd that a PTA film was mentioned in connection to this film and it wasn't the one in which Sandler's sociopathic movie persona was mined for a queasy pathos rather than puerile comedy.

The first half of Funny People is a suitable companion piece to the aforementioned PTA movie or this year's Observe and Report, but the latter half is a messy ode to family that lets its antihero off the hook.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

That was the one I had in my mind, it just came off wrong the way I said it. I agree with what you are saying completely, the end really falls apart but not enough to really ruin the entire movie.

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

Replicant wrote:That was the one I had in my mind, it just came off wrong the way I said it. I agree with what you are saying completely, the end really falls apart but not enough to really ruin the entire movie.

Oh, no, I was referring to the Daniel Plainview reference earlier.