Samurai Cop

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Samurai Cop

Post by TheDenizen »

Reprinted from the Kidnapped by Ninjas blog

I like shitty movies, and I've seen a lot of really bad ones. Knowing my unusual cinematic tastes, people often ask me "What is the best 'bad movie' out there"? It's important to state that when I talk about shitty movies, I don't mean overwritten big budget Hollywood star driven ego-projects that tanked, like Ishtar or Gigli...I mean Z-grade schlock filmed for next to nothing that tries really hard to rise above it's limitations and fails spectacularly.

There are lots of great bad movies. 80's slashers produced for short drive-in runs, amateurish Italian and Turkish knockoffs of popular American films, exploitation sleaze churned out for the 70's grindhouses, etc, but one film rises above the creme de la crap. That film is Samurai Cop.

Samurai Cop is about a white cop named Joe who comes to LA to fight the evil Japanese gangs taking over the streets. Despite the fact that we're told several times that Joe has "trained with the Japanese masters", he talks about the code of "Bushida" and cannot pronounce the name of the main bad guy Fujiyama (played by a Latino). The Katana gang (which appears to only have one actual Japanese member) doesn't take kindly to Joe's intrusion into their racket peddling smack to grade school kids, so they send wave after wave of goons to die by Joe's hand.

Samurai Cop is truly wretched in every way. Filmed in the mid 80's and starring Sly Stallone's bodyguard, it never actually played anywhere, only getting a direct to DVD release in the 90's after being discovered in a vault somewhere. Everything is completely amateur hour, from the clunky writing, to the awkward direction, to the wince-inducing acting (Samurai Cop is the only acting credit on imdb for several of the principal actors). This movie wants to be a knockoff of Lethal Weapon so badly, it even has Joe exchanging painful chummy racial banter with a black partner.

Joe dodges bullets during a car chase by ducking and bobbing his head in the driver's seat. The main girl has a giant crocheted lion head on her office wall for no apparent reason. A villain uses a katana to slowly SAW the head off an unconscious guy. One of the female gang memebers only has one line: "The boss is coming", but she gets to use it in about five different scenes. The climactic katana duel was obviously filmed in slow motion and sped WAY up. It's got glaring continuity errors, poorly choreographed fight scenes, ridiculous plot devices, laughable editing, cheesy 80's synth music throughout, and three of the most painfully uncomfortable-to-watch love scenes I've ever witnessed.

It's a fucking classic.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Samurai Cop

Post by ShogunRua »

Heh, good review, man.

Isn't it weird that the Hollywood "samurai" movies of that time like "Samurai Cop" and "American Samurai" were way worse than the "ninja" movies they produced?

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

i gotta see this

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

ShogunRua wrote:Heh, good review, man.

Isn't it weird that the Hollywood "samurai" movies of that time like "Samurai Cop" and "American Samurai" were way worse than the "ninja" movies they produced?

thanks.

and yeah, you're right...but a lot of the ninja flicks were pretty terrible too :P

Pickpocket wrote:i gotta see this

Last I checked you could watch most of it on YouTube. :)

And I forgot to mention the flamboyantly gay Filipino waiter.