American Hustle

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings
Your TCI: na

American Hustle

Post by kgbelliveau »

When your screenplay is yet to be produced and it is named American Bullshit, you know it is only a matter of time before curiosity sparks and there is a very dark toned comedy to be made. Combining the dark subject matter with the immaculate style of the 70's big hair, open front dress and wild suits you create a winning combination.

Irving Rosenfeld along with his partner Sydney Prosser are con-artists taking money from people and selling fake art. They are brought into a wild scheme when FBI agent Rich DiMaso wants to bring down some government officials. Richie gets himself in over his head and soon the three of them are scrambling to find a way out.

Stylish,smart and wildly sophisticated, American Hustle is such a fun film. As it develops and you find yourself entangled in the messes of each elaborate scheme, there is an engrossing energy that sweeps over you. During the first act, you seem lost, wanting them film to find itself and part way through the second act it does find its stride and not a moment too late. Despite the minor flaw during the first act, it quickly corrects itself and sets up a fantastic final act filled with double crossing and manipulation.

David O. Russell combines the look and feel of the 70's era with a fictionalized throwback to a scandal that actually took place, even taking time out to remind us that some of the events transpiring during said film did in fact happen. The surprising elements of comedy are what kept this film moving at a high frequency, taking sudden tonal shifts in order to accurately depict the true nature of the situation at hand. Russell is a hard hitting film maker, borrowing his impeccable style from old Scorsese gangster pictures and paying homage to some of the best works of all time. Russell put his film in good hands with the chameleon Christian Bale taking on the lead role, gaining 40 pounds and slouching so bad he actually herniated two discs in his back. His comb-over is ridiculous, his suits loud and his personality one of a kind. Adams compliments him just perfectly, wearing open front dresses and screaming seductive right from the beginning. Cooper is the wild card of the film, his character the one desperately trying to gain himself a name amongst his peers. Cooper is often wild and insane, his hair only the beginning of the ridiculousness.

All of these actors gave off fine performances, but there was one stand out performance that knocked them all out of the park. Jennifer Lawrence was by far the best part of the film, her manipulative Rosalyn keeping Irving at arms length. She was devilish, her performance very much accentuated by her bold accent and her characters vixen like qualities made her an absolute treat. If this performance does not score Lawrence back to back Academy Award wins, someone was not paying attention to how absolutely phenomenal she looked and how engaging each and every scene she was in ended up being. She gave the film a sense of tension when things were already heating up. She never knew when to stop, her indulgence getting the best of her. Such a deep and game changing character, and for an actress as young as Lawrence to walk in and steal the spot light, it such a fun thing to see. At just 23 years of age to watch her perform on a such a high level was one of the most delightful moments of film in a long time. This girl is going to be on that stage accepting awards year after year if she keeps giving performances like this one.

American Hustle is one of those films that has moments of pure excitement, full of richly timed dark witted comedy, and moments of pure intensity, highlighted by the every growing sense that somewhere things wouldn't turn out alright for everyone involved. It opts for a more comedic and traditional ending, bringing closure to each one of these characters. It kind of takes away from the mystical allure this film carried through-out, almost ruining the high stakes atmosphere that helped elevate the second act. At times without such invigorating style and lavish 70's feel, it would have been just another modern film. It's quite the spectacle when the era in which the film takes place can also ultimately become the saving grace of the film. Perhaps it is because this film actual scandal took place during the same era in which the film is set, but something about the 70's era, the music, the lights, the sounds, the characters it all just looked good, like a couple wearing a luxurious dress and a stylish tuxedo to the gala.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: American Hustle

Post by ShogunRua »

There are several very common descriptions/adjectives in this review that I have never understood. For instance,

"immaculate style". So the style is especially pure and free from blemishes? What exactly does that mean? Were you trying to say that it's very well-executed, that it looks visually stunning (two different things), or a third quality entirely?

"wildly sophisticated". What precisely makes a movie "sophisticated" in your mind, especially "wildly" so?

"hard hitting filmmaker". Are we talking about a fighter here? How does a director hit hard? Did you mean that his films are thoughtful and profound? That they're very emotional?

"impeccable style". You seem to have a fondness for describing styles with adjectives beginning with "im", and this one is even more confusing than the first. Impeccable means flawless. How is a style "flawless"? It's just a description of what a director likes to do. It can neither be flawed OR flawless.

Do you mean that his execution of individual scenes was flawless?!

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

ShogunRua wrote:There are several very common descriptions/adjectives in this review that I have never understood. For instance,

"immaculate style". So the style is especially pure and free from blemishes? What exactly does that mean? Were you trying to say that it's very well-executed, that it looks visually stunning (two different things), or a third quality entirely?

"wildly sophisticated". What precisely makes a movie "sophisticated" in your mind, especially "wildly" so?

"hard hitting filmmaker". Are we talking about a fighter here? How does a director hit hard? Did you mean that his films are thoughtful and profound? That they're very emotional?

"impeccable style". You seem to have a fondness for describing styles with adjectives beginning with "im", and this one is even more confusing than the first. Impeccable means flawless. How is a style "flawless"? It's just a description of what a director likes to do. It can neither be flawed OR flawless.

The style and visual feel was unlike any film I have seen before of this nature. Wild Sophisticated meaning it was intelligent, thought provoking and full of twists and turns.

Hard hitting film making- relevant, fun, emotional, powerful,intelligent like mentioned above.

The style isn't referring to the director, but the era being represented. The look of the late 70's was executed flawlessly. Have you seen this film?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

kgbelliveau wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:There are several very common descriptions/adjectives in this review that I have never understood. For instance,

The style and visual feel was unlike any film I have seen before of this nature. Wild Sophisticated meaning it was intelligent, thought provoking and full of twists and turns.

Wow, it means all those different things? I wouldn't automatically think "wildly sophisticated" means "full of twists and turns", either. In fact, they sound like completely different concepts.

kgbelliveau wrote:Hard hitting film making- relevant, fun, emotional, powerful,intelligent like mentioned above.

And this amorphous word means five completely different things, even! Including "emotional", "fun", AND "intelligent"! It's a catch-all for every good quality in a film, apparently.

Amusingly, both "hard hitting" and "wildly sophisticated" mean intelligent, according to kgebelliveau. Does that make them synonyms?

kgbelliveau wrote:The style isn't referring to the director, but the era being represented. The look of the late 70's was executed flawlessly.

No, you were referring to the director in this part;

"Russell is a hard hitting film maker, borrowing his impeccable style..."

How is a director's style perfect?

kgbelliveau wrote:Have you seen this film?

I write a ton of reviews, and was just making a point about using cliched buzzwords that don't actually mean anything.

If you don't want me to comment on your reviews, that's fine, too.

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

ShogunRua wrote:
kgbelliveau wrote:

Wow, it means all those different things? I wouldn't automatically think "wildly sophisticated" means "full of twists and turns", either. In fact, they sound like completely different concepts.

kgbelliveau wrote:Hard hitting film making- relevant, fun, emotional, powerful,intelligent like mentioned above.

And this amorphous word means five completely different things, even! Including "emotional", "fun", AND "intelligent"! It's a catch-all for every good quality in a film, apparently.

Amusingly, both "hard hitting" and "wildly sophisticated" mean intelligent, according to kgebelliveau. Does that make them synonyms?

kgbelliveau wrote:The style isn't referring to the director, but the era being represented. The look of the late 70's was executed flawlessly.

No, you were referring to the director in this part;

"Russell is a hard hitting film maker, borrowing his impeccable style..."

How is a director's style perfect?

kgbelliveau wrote:Have you seen this film?

I write a ton of reviews, and was just making a point about using cliched buzzwords that don't actually mean anything.

If you don't want me to comment on your reviews, that's fine, too.

I don't mind at all if you comment on my reviews, as a matter of fact I appreciate the feedback on what to avoid. I thought his pacing, his use of the clothing, the look and feel were flawless. To me that means he borrowed from other films of this nature. Perhaps you are right, trying tomake it sound less cliche is the best option. I used the term "Wildly Sophisticated" because it is off the wall and not just an average film with a simple message. I was merely asking if you had seen the film and what your thoughts were of the film itself.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

kgbelliveau wrote:I don't mind at all if you comment on my reviews, as a matter of fact I appreciate the feedback on what to avoid. I thought his pacing, his use of the clothing, the look and feel were flawless. To me that means he borrowed from other films of this nature. Perhaps you are right, trying tomake it sound less cliche is the best option. I used the term "Wildly Sophisticated" because it is off the wall and not just an average film with a simple message. I was merely asking if you had seen the film and what your thoughts were of the film itself.

I haven't seen the film, and read your review to help decide whether to give it a shot or not. (I'm leaning towards "yes")

I rarely leave feedback, since most people either ignore, or even worse, resent and argue against it, but thought it would be helpful here. Especially since these common buzzwords obscured your feelings about the film, and what impressed you so much about it.

Actually, the thing that concerned me in the trailer was that in recreating the 70s, it just looks way too glossy, neat, and perfect. Since the 70s are my favorite era for film, there is an uncanny valley effect whenever I see the flawless-looking, overly bright attire, obvious wigs, etc. in modern reproductions. It gives such pictures an artificial flavor.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ShogunRua wrote:I haven't seen the film, and read your review to help decide whether to give it a shot or not. (I'm leaning towards "yes")

I rarely leave feedback, since most people either ignore, or even worse, resent and argue against it, but thought it would be helpful here. Especially since these common buzzwords obscured your feelings about the film, and what impressed you so much about it.

Actually, the thing that concerned me in the trailer was that in recreating the 70s, it just looks way too glossy, neat, and perfect. Since the 70s are my favorite era for film, there is an uncanny valley effect whenever I see the flawless-looking, overly bright attire, obvious wigs, etc. in modern reproductions. It gives such pictures an artificial flavor.

This certainly may turn you off from the film. It plays up the 70s aspect a lot, in an obviously overdone manner. It's not meant to capture the look of the 70s like, say, Midnight Cowboy. Instead, the film aims for fun--it's almost like going to a 70s party. Think of a more muted Anchorman. I would venture to say, though, that it's not aiming for recreating the 70s enough to give you the uncanny valley effect. I think you generally appreciate films that are going for fun, as opposed to films that take themselves too seriously, so I'd say give it a shot.