mise en scène: pretentious or what?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: mise en scène: pretentious or what?

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Replicant wrote:
green man wrote:i have more of a problem with the word "pretentious" than mise en scene.

fucking this. also "The Emperor's Clothes," epic, sheep, over rated, under rated, etc.,

I'd rather have any of these words wiped out of criticism before mise en scène

My sentiments exactly. "Mise en scene" is kind of lazy, but 99% of the time if you use "pretentious" unironically, I'm going to take you a lot less seriously.

cinesexual
2468 Ratings

Post by cinesexual »

FitFortDanga wrote:
Replicant wrote:
green man wrote:"Mise en scene" is kind of lazy, but 99% of the time if you use "pretentious" unironically, I'm going to take you a lot less seriously.

The argument is the same against using all these words, including mise en scène: They're imprecise and don't generally lead to detailed or interesting discussions. They are, in fact, substitutes for the beginnings of detailed and interesting discussions.

But, boy, people sure like to hold on to them despite the fact that's it's easy to demonstrate that they don't understand the terms they're using anyway or don't understand their implications.

All of the responses defending the phrase, mise en scène, have illustrated that the people who claim to know what the phrase means (except for the guy who mentioned its applicability to photography) nevertheless are completely ignorant of its history and usage and its origins in film studies. Usage of the phrase does, however, ironically provide cover for that ignorance. Which is why, at root, it's a pretentious word in a way that "over-rated" is not.

Ununnilium
1264 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

FitFortDanga wrote:"Mise en scene" is kind of lazy, but 99% of the time if you use "pretentious" unironically, I'm going to take you a lot less seriously.

Can I say that if you use "use <blank> unironically" unironically, you're being pretentious? `-`

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

sebby wrote:Look, mise en scene can be useful in a a pinch when describing a film. Of course a longer treatise on, say, the works of Kurosawa would be best served if each aspect of mise en scene was analyzed separately and thoroughly, but in the case of a mini-review or message board post, I don't see why it should be banished. Not every worthwhile comment on a film must be perfectly constructed, especially in a setting like the Criticker general message board. This is not Cahiers du cinema; it's a place where, yes, film is discussed fervently -- but it's also discussed casually. I suppose the longer review forum might be the one place where longer analytical reviews are the norm, but to call for the complete banishment of the term would be like scoffing at and dismissing a meal prepared with the aid of a store-bought spice mix. Sometimes I just want to throw some panch phoron in with my potatoes and be done with it, damnit.

Jesus. Finally.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

this is the dumbest thread on criticker forums probably. let it die

Dorkovsky
42558 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

green man wrote:this is the dumbest thread on criticker forums probably. let it die

The first correct post. It wouldn't be as bad if everyone here knew what 'pretentious' actually means, but that knowledge is severely lacking.

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

kyle.loomis wrote:
green man wrote:this is the dumbest thread on criticker forums probably. let it die

The first correct post. It wouldn't be as bad if everyone here knew what 'pretentious' actually means, but that knowledge is severely lacking.

I find your post to be pretentious.

tef
1361 Ratings

Post by tef »

The term can mean anything on the scene, but that's not bad. Many terms are broad but useful.