Oscar Nominations 2012

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Voodoo
4773 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Oscar Nominations 2012

Post by Voodoo »

the positive surprise for me is the nomination for the wonderful "the Tree of Life",the Golden Palme Winner,the movie is great and directing is amazing,unfortunatelly we did not see this film on the Golden Globes Awards

xacviant
1627 Ratings

Post by xacviant »

My personal list of winners:

Best Picture: Melancholia
Best Director: Lars von Trier (Melancholia)
Best Actor: Michael Fassbender (Shame)
Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia)
Best Supporting Actor: Kiefer Sutherland (Melancholia)
Best Supporting Actress: Carey Mulligan (Shame)
Best Original Screenplay: Melancholia
Best Adapted Screenplay: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Best Cinematography: Melancholia
Best Art Direction: Hugo
Best Costume Design: Anonymous
Best Editing: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Best Score: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Best Sound: Super 8
Best Visual Effects: The Tree of Life
Best Sound Effects: Melancholia

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Filligan wrote:
Stewball wrote:Why are there only 9 best picture nominations?

The voting system for the Academy changed this year. Instead of a mandatory 10 nominees, it changed to a LIMIT of 10 nominees, but a film could only be nominated if it got 5% of #1 votes from voters. So the films were ranked on every ballot, and only nine films got 5% of #1 votes.

Thanks for the info. Guess they just want to keep us off balance or whatever. Wonder what the 10th one would have been? I figure they cut the Iron Lady off, maybe even before the fact. :shock:

McCorpse
251 Ratings

Post by McCorpse »

hobo with a shotgun and I saw the devil for every category

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I've seen precisely one of the Best Picture nominees, that being The Tree of Life. It was a gigantic waste of time, much like the Oscars themselves.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Love betting on these things and it looks like the only real money this year is in the best actor category. Clooney is currently favored to win and I just can't see it happening since he already has one and his performance, while good, wasn't exactly mind blowing. Haven't seen The Artist or TTSS but I like the odds at 4:1 and 50:1, especially considering that The Artist is pretty much favored to win everrything else and Gary Oldman doesn't have an Oscar. Anyone got any insight

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

To be honest, I didn't even know who the nominations were until I read this forum, and that's the first time that I can remember not knowing the nominees the morning they're released. After finally seeing them, I wish I hadn't because of its overwhelming mediocrity.

I have an idea, screw the oscars....let's just have the "criticker awards" voted by all of us and call it a plan. Everyone is obviously dissatisfied and I think our award winners would give a good watchlist for 2011 in comparison to what the oscars are highlighting for us.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:Love betting on these things and it looks like the only real money this year is in the best actor category. Clooney is currently favored to win and I just can't see it happening since he already has one and his performance, while good, wasn't exactly mind blowing. Haven't seen The Artist or TTSS but I like the odds at 4:1 and 50:1, especially considering that The Artist is pretty much favored to win everrything else and Gary Oldman doesn't have an Oscar. Anyone got any insight

That seems like a decent play, yeah.

However, I typically like to bet on favorites that should be even heavier favorites than they currently are. As such, I feel there are several other opportunities to make money this year...

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

jnmovie wrote:To be honest, I didn't even know who the nominations were until I read this forum, and that's the first time that I can remember not knowing the nominees the morning they're released. After finally seeing them, I wish I hadn't because of its overwhelming mediocrity.

I have an idea, screw the oscars....let's just have the "criticker awards" voted by all of us and call it a plan. Everyone is obviously dissatisfied and I think our award winners would give a good watchlist for 2011 in comparison to what the oscars are highlighting for us.

I'm not that dissatisfied with the year at all, just some of the nominations. I suggested the Criticker Awards last year and it went no where. WTF.

As for PP's request for insights, been there, done that, got my masochist diploma. WTF² 8-)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I'm not that dissatisfied with the year at all, just some of the nominations. I suggested the Criticker Awards last year and it went no where. WTF.

HAHA, hey if you want to start pimping up the idea, I'll back you 100%. I think this website could benefit loads, as well as its users :)