Ben Affleck is Batman

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
hellboy76
6340 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Ben Affleck is Batman

Post by hellboy76 »

http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic ... eel-sequel

I don't know if I like it exactly, but I am intrigued. This isn't young "Daredevil" Bennifer. This is a aged veteran who starred and directed the last Best Picture winner.

Also: I included this in General as the movie isn't titled yet and it was more a casting discussion than the movie itself.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Ben Affleck is Batman

Post by ShogunRua »

I haven't seen "The Dark Knight Rises" and won't watch the latest cash grab.

However, I'm still happy about this. With any luck, Affleck will make a fortune, and can then focus his energy on directing quality films. Which I will actually watch.

People saying he isn't qualified severely overestimate the amount of acting talent required for that role.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

It's not really about the "talent required" per se. I just can't see Affleck as a convincing Batman. He's going to be very different from Bale, which could be a bit jarring considering how Bale has pretty much nailed the role down at this point.

Affleck is more like a Clooney. Really strange casting choice in my opinion. But I won't dismiss it yet. The film will probably have much bigger problems than casting choices anyway, judging from Man of Steel.

Film_Fanatic
10 Ratings

Post by Film_Fanatic »

I agree I can't really see Ben as batman. But I want this film to do well and see a justice league movie and then maybe (fingers crossed) an Avengers vs Justice league movie. Even though I'm sure it will never happen. Don't mess this up Ben.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

It sounds like a pretty terrible casting choice to me, but then again the whole idea of the film is quite insulting (basically following in the footsteps of The Avengers, from the looks of it). On the bright side, at least the crossover film will now have something to distinguish it from all the other totally interchangeable superhero movies that come out about fifty times a year.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

To be fair, Superman/Batman is its own comic book series as is the upcoming Justice League (which actually started before The Avengers). None of this is very new.

I'm not going to argue that this along with most other superhero films isn't jumping on the way overfilled bandwagon, but it's not like there isn't precedent for Batman vs Superman. Honestly I'm glad they're doing something "new" film-wise, rather than just rebooting/sequeling the 3-4 most popular superheroes endlessly, which is the alternative until the well runs dry.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I think they've run the well dry already with Nolan and Snyder putting out uninspired sequels in their last efforts. And how is it supposed to improve the quality by combining two wholly independent super-characters except to wonder for a few microseconds about how they're going to do it--there's no doubt about why. It looks like summer fare is doomed to continue it's death spiral into the mind-numbed not ready for prime time pablum set. Even this summer's animation offerings were barely able to cast a breath on the mirror--conditioning pre-teens to accept ever less in their upcoming decade(s) no doubt.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Again, "wholly independent super-characters"? I'm not sure why you even wonder "how they would do it" - it's already been done in a plethora of comic-books for decades. If you don't like the idea of a Superman/Batman team-up, fine. Blame the comic book writers. They're already in the same universe.

Also, it's fan service. I'm surprised they're even still doing fan service at this point, considering how superhero movies have snowballed. At least fans of the comic books might like it (which I think is a good thing) - that is, if Zach doesn't balls it up like he did Man of Steel (he will).

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Rufflesack wrote:To be fair, Superman/Batman is its own comic book series as is the upcoming Justice League (which actually started before The Avengers). None of this is very new.

Yes but Marvel announced plans for The Avengers quite a while before Warner Bros. decided to follow suit and Justice League was only put up for re-writes following The Avengers' success, having been dormant for ages (just click through a couple of links on the page that you yourself linked to and you'll be able to confirm this). Hardly a contradiction of what I said, although I admit I was neither aware of nor interested in this before looking at the page you posted.

I was aware of the Superman/Batman comic books but it's not really relevant since I was talking about the movies specifically.

Rufflesack wrote:Again, "wholly independent super-characters"?

Wholly independent super-characters in the movies -- not comics.

Rufflesack wrote:I'm not sure why you even wonder "how they would do it" - it's already been done in a plethora of comic-books for decades.

Perhaps that's why it only took Stewball a few microseconds of wondering.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Rufflesack wrote:I'm not sure why you even wonder "how they would do it" - it's already been done

I was referring to whatever new plot/character trivialities they'd come up with.