Scenes We'd Like to See

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CMonster
1444 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Scenes We'd Like to See

Post by CMonster »

hellboy76 wrote:
In a short space, you have already exceeded the writing quality of the first movies script.

:o THANK YOU! :o

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

hellboy76 wrote:I don't follow the first part, are you a tea party conservative? I was judging by your other statements you were not.

I was responding to the sentence as a whole. I don't "lean towards the middle" on most issues. I'm socially "liberal" (so in support of gay marriage, abortions, marijuana legalization, a bunch of other drugs I don't take, and as many guns as you want) and "conservative" on everything else, because I studied history and do economics for a living, and know what liberalism inevitably, always leads to.

hellboy76 wrote:Another more than slightly conservative media conglomerate is Bain Capital's very own Clear Channel , and Premiere Radio Networks, which is the largest radio station group by far, reaching more than 213 million viewers, with syndicated specialities like Rush, Glenn Beck, Hannity and Fox News radio.

Oh my God. You're comparing relatively tiny Clear Channel to monolithic giants like Time Warner, Comcast, CBS News, Yahoo!, ABC News, the BBC, and the Associated Press? Nevermind major newspapers like The New York Times and The Washington Post? And you think that the influence and reach of Clear Channel is in any way comparable?

Way to bury your own point.

hellboy76 wrote:You are right on Teddy Turner and Comcast (although I hadn't heard the not including Fox News thing), I do remember conservative shareholders screaming about MSNBC.

If you have a few minutes, here is an amusing topic to glance through;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity-co ... -p/1413657

Basically, it's customers requesting a choice between Fox News and CNN for some package, and a Comcast representative outright lying that Fox News does not have a live stream. (They do and demonstrably did back then)

hellboy76 wrote:Regarding vouchers: they are idiotic because they help far too few poor students , especially compared to the money going into the programs.

"Compared to the money going into the programs"? What does that mean? And you have any statistics that back up that they're helping "far too few poor students", which is a subjective value judgment?

And why do you think that people, especially low-income minorities, have to pay taxes for public schools that their own kids don't use? And which even you admit these schools horribly squander?

hellboy76 wrote:And I absolutely agree on Obama and his war chest, but yes he would have won both times from the after effects of the Bush debacle and people praying it was going to be better ( it wasn't, or if it was , any gains were erased by bizarre steps taken by the Obama administration).

It's speculation, of course, but to casually dismiss this is silly. There is a very strong correlation between money spent on an election and the results, or else candidates wouldn't spend so much, and rich donors wouldn't give so much.

And while you could argue "Bush debacle" in 2008, how is that relevant in 2012? Considering the razor-thin margins for many states in 2012, you honestly think that if Obama hadn't outspent Romney $1.3 billion to $800 million, (half a billion dollars difference!) the election wouldn't have been any difference? It very well might have.

Again, one can't say for certain. However, saying it definitely would NOT is absurd.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

ShogunRua wrote: There is a very strong correlation between money spent on an election and the results, or else candidates wouldn't spend so much, and rich donors wouldn't give so much.

BULLSHIT! Just watch House of Cards, Kevin Spacey can work magic without the Coke Brothers.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

ShogunRua wrote:Post

I compare Clear Channel to them when the directly pump Rush, Glenn and Hannity to 213 million weekly listeners. That number is not insignificant by any means. Nor are those shows even guised as news, pure opinion for the weak minded to recycle with little or no fact checking.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity-co ... -p/1413657

LOL, "no politics in the forums, move along".

There were two studies done by an independent consultant , one for D.C. and one for Milwaukee, I will take some time to find them again. Really interesting stuff.

Obviously money helps, but I think the Bush factor was still running strong in 2012 (we saw Clinton paraded out, but not so much as a sniff of George). I think people convinced themselves he (Obama) just needed four more years.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

theficionado wrote:Thanks for the reminder of why I never come here anymore.

Yeah, well my way or the highway usually works that way. I'm sure you can find a well scrubbed site where everyone conforms to your taste or else; or you can brood and troll and go from site to site leaving your inane little hit and run deposits.

"Aficionado: n.--a person who likes and knows a lot about something". I guess that means he doesn't like or know much about anything....or he just misspelled it....or something.

LowOiL
618 Ratings

Post by LowOiL »

hellboy76 wrote:I compare Clear Channel to them when the directly pump Rush, Glenn and Hannity to 213 million weekly listeners.

In the meanwhile, another liberal talk show host falls on the axe this week. She couldn't resist taking final swipes at Al Franken and Rachel Maddow, her former colleagues at now-defunct Air America Radio, especially Maddow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Randi_Rhodes_Show

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

hellboy76 wrote:

I compare Clear Channel to them when the directly pump Rush, Glenn and Hannity to 213 million weekly listeners. That number is not insignificant by any means.

Again, you're comparing a company in a niche form of media (terrestrial radio) to titans like Time Warner, Comcast, CBS News, Yahoo!, ABC News, the BBC, and the Associated Press.

And because you found a few black swans in a sea of liberal-dominated entertainment, news, and media, that somehow makes the latter not liberal-dominated?

In other words, if I see a few Japanese guys walking around Moscow, according to your logic, that no longer makes the city European-dominated?

hellboy76 wrote:Nor are those shows even guised as news, pure opinion for the weak minded to recycle with little or no fact checking.

You mean just like MSNBC or countless other liberal-dominated programs? At least conservative pundits mention actual numbers and facts on occasion.

I challenge you to find me anything from O'Reilly or Hannity (neither of whom I'm a fan of) even a tenth this psychotic and hysterical.

hellboy76 wrote:There were two studies done by an independent consultant , one for D.C. and one for Milwaukee, I will take some time to find them again. Really interesting stuff.

Sure, take your time.

hellboy76 wrote:Obviously money helps, but I think the Bush factor was still running strong in 2012 (we saw Clinton paraded out, but not so much as a sniff of George). I think people convinced themselves he (Obama) just needed four more years.

Having $500 million more to spend on saturation advertising definitely helped convince people, wouldn't you say?

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Figured I would add another scene I wrote myself. It's about a green grocer in Arizona who got diagnosed with ALS and has decided to turn to nefarious means to make money for his family before he checks out. This is a dicey convo with his wife.

Werner: Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears. It ceases to exist, without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Tina. I AM the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

This conversation is going nowhere fast, and is going to get repetitive, because we don't agree with what the other is saying and no amount of posting is going to change that. If you are actually interested, the below link is a blog (take from that what you will) but it has links to the reports and some test scoring from a few cities who had voucher programs put in place.

I don't have an issue with vouchers in general, but that they should somehow replace the current system. Anyways, I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/03/29/vouchers-dont-work-evidence-from-milwaukee/

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

CMonster wrote:Figured I would add another scene I wrote myself. It's about a green grocer in Arizona who got diagnosed with ALS and has decided to turn to nefarious means to make money for his family before he checks out. This is a dicey convo with his wife.

Werner: Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears. It ceases to exist, without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Tina. I AM the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!

I can't place my finger on it, this seems familiar.