Scenes We'd Like to See

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Scenes We'd Like to See

Post by ShogunRua »

Ocelot wrote:I posted that I liked Breaking Bad and wanted to talk about it.

No, you wanted to pontificate about Breaking Bad. You weren't interested in any discussion, since you admitted you didn't read any of my posts. Again, it's hilarious that you're somehow trying to defend this as a legitimate way to converse on a message board!

Ocelot wrote:I then skimmed over a mention of Mad Men as I referenced it myself (along with five other shows) and now that's all you seem to have to say, as if it's reasonable for me to explain what's funny in Breaking Bad to you.

Funny, somehow CMonster managed to explain the humor just fine. And without being a blind fanboy or douche about it, either.

Ocelot wrote:You also immediately derailed this topic with your own political agenda for God knows what reason, and this seems to be the case in every other topic I've seen you post in.

Now you're just being purposely dense. Stewball's original post touched upon politics, and what followed was a bunch of people arguing both sides of it. I wasn't even the first to do so.

Maybe the problem is that much like with my replies, you never bothered to read Stewie's first post?

Ocelot wrote:I now completely understand why these forums are so inactive.

Yes, whatever would we do without Ocelot's monologues...

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Wow, I spelled a word wrong, you called a pretty specific defense of the show vague, brought up no examples of something similar to what you called standard and predictable, and misunderstood an endorsement of relatibility as an appeal to the populist fallacy. Grasping at straws much? Try again.

Edit: Good to know I'm not a douche.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:Wow, I spelled a word wrong,

I was joking around with you. You have to admit; when you attribute a quote to Shakespeare and spell the very first word wrong, it's pretty funny, and worth pointing out.

CMonster wrote: you called a pretty specific defense of the show vague,

It is vague, but to be fair, it's often one of the limitations of discussing movies/television shows.

To you, "The acting, directing, and writing all come together to hit extremely relatable notes that manage to be funny and serious and surprising and interesting!"

For me, "Cranston does a fine job with the acting, but it's basically just a nerdy, passive guy swearing a bit and grabbing his balls. The solid acting saves it from being bad, but neither did I find it funny."

In general, I try to avoid poetic descriptions that don't specifically reference elements of the scene, but sometimes it's difficult or even unavoidable when trying to make a larger point.

CMonster wrote:brought up no examples of something similar to what you called standard and predictable,

Christopher Lloyd quitting his job at the end of Hulk Hogan vehicle Suburban Commando.

CMonster wrote:and misunderstood an endorsement of relatibility as an appeal to the populist fallacy.

Your "endorsement of relatibility", as you put it, is still appealing to the populist fallacy. Which is irrelevant in a discussion of a show's merits. Try again.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

You can keep saying I was vague, but I'm using a specific scene as an example of how the balances humor and seriousness with brevity making the show different than almost everything on tv at the time(making it interesting and surprising). If you were to change the writing, directing, or acting you would like lose some part of that. It's not vague. It's a fair analysis of a specific example as to why it works.

Also, how do you not see a difference between the above listed good aspects making it relatable(and thus popular) and its popular so it must be good? Those are two very different statements.

And your examples of other tv shows that deal with a situation like "wipe down this" are a show you like that started within roughly 6 months of when Breaking Bad started and a movie from 1991 that has less than 350 rankings here. Sounds really standard and predicable and probably a few other vagaries not being backed up by good examples.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:You can keep saying I was vague, but I'm using a specific scene as an example of how the balances humor and seriousness with brevity making the show different than almost everything on tv at the time(making it interesting and surprising).

Right, and I can make the argument that there is barely any humor in that scene (there is no punchline, Cranston plays the scene completely straight, and I actually expected him to "blow up" right around that time), and its generic nature saps of it whatever "seriousness" it had going for it.

CMonster wrote:Also, how do you not see a difference between the above listed good aspects making it relatable(and thus popular) and its popular so it must be good? Those are two very different statements.

Because you're still discussing the people who liked it, as opposed to the show itself.

CMonster wrote:And your examples of other tv shows that deal with a situation like "wipe down this" are a show you like that started within roughly 6 months of when Breaking Bad started and a movie from 1991 that has less than 350 rankings here. Sounds really standard and predicable and probably a few other vagaries not being backed up by good examples.

Again, the scene itself is predictable. I never said it was done by other TV shows. Also, are you honestly making the argument that a put-upon, even-keeled, often passive guy suddenly going ballistic and quitting at his job is not a stock scene?

By the way, Suburban Commando is a pretty dumb movie, but I arguably think the scene with Christopher Lloyd quitting was better.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

I would call a "blow-up" like you expected standard and predictable. Actually, I'm pretty surprised you called it predicable when you just wrote that it didn't go where you expected it to...seems kinda counter intuitive..whatever. What happened was much more measured. When people quit they generally don't flip tables and go over the top. Shows are often written that way to really "express the anger" that character is going through. This is where being relatable is important. Everybody can understand and connect with actually boiling over and having a little out burst, but not following through with the fantasy of totally losing it. Thus, this goes into why calling the show relatable isn't an appeal to popularity. Being able to relate to a character will vary from person to person. It is an individual thing as to it being relatable, not a populous thing. Doing a really good job and making it relatable to a lot of people is commentary on how well the show is made, not those watching it.

Also, stop getting hung up on "punchlines". Humor can come in many different forms as I said before. Set-up/punchline is pretty standard, but one liners, contextual humor, physical comedy, sarcasm, insults, juxtaposition through editing, etc. are all different ways of making something funny. I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here because explaining a joke generally makes it cease to be funny, but since you are getting caught up on the "punchline" thing, I'll break it down. "Fuck you and your eyebrows" is not a set-up/punchline type joke. It is a comical insult making fun of the mans giant eyebrows. It's a silly thing to say. Maybe you didn't find it funny, but it was written as a joke and it made people laugh so clearly it is humor(this might be an appeal to populous but whatever, fuck it).

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:I would call a "blow-up" like you expected standard and predictable. Actually, I'm pretty surprised you called it predicable when you just wrote that it didn't go where you expected it to...seems kinda counter intuitive..whatever.

It did go where I expected it to. I wrote as much above; "and I actually expected him to "blow up" right around that time".

CMonster wrote: What happened was much more measured. When people quit they generally don't flip tables and go over the top. Shows are often written that way to really "express the anger" that character is going through. This is where being relatable is important. Everybody can understand and connect with actually boiling over and having a little out burst, but not following through with the fantasy of totally losing it. Thus, this goes into why calling the show relatable isn't an appeal to popularity. Being able to relate to a character will vary from person to person. It is an individual thing as to it being relatable, not a populous thing. Doing a really good job and making it relatable to a lot of people is commentary on how well the show is made, not those watching it.

But you're still using other peoples' reactions to do this, as opposed to discussing elements of the show itself that make it relatable!

Again, realize your same argument can be applied to any number of pictures or shows you don't care for. I'm sure an equally wide cross-section of society found Bridesmaids relatable in some way.

CMonster wrote:Also, stop getting hung up on "punchlines". Humor can come in many different forms as I said before. Set-up/punchline is pretty standard, but one liners, contextual humor, physical comedy, sarcasm, insults, juxtaposition through editing, etc. are all different ways of making something funny.

I agree, but what else can one say? There is no way to prove that a scene is not funny to someone somewhere for some reason.

By the way, the only one of the elements you listed above that applies here is "insults", and those were too standard and predictable for my tastes. Now, if Walt had included a few racist jabs, indignation that someone of his intellect had to work there, or something else to give those insults flavor, I would have found it funnier.

CMonster wrote: I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here because explaining a joke generally makes it cease to be funny, but since you are getting caught up on the "punchline" thing, I'll break it down. "Fuck you and your eyebrows" is not a set-up/punchline type joke. It is a comical insult making fun of the mans giant eyebrows. It's a silly thing to say. Maybe you didn't find it funny, but it was written as a joke and it made people laugh so clearly it is humor(this might be an appeal to populous but whatever, fuck it).

Had he gone a bit further with the eyebrow bit, or perhaps insulted other aspects of the carwash owner's physical appearance ("you look like a gay, retarded, Armenian Santa Clause!"), I might have found it funnier.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

So..... anyone else enjoy the show Breaking Bad?

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Well this is getting redundant. So I'll finish with 4 simple points
1) gay, retarded, Armenian Santa Clause is funny, but to cartoonish to fit in the show
2)I'm right
3)Your wrong
4)Bridesmaids sucked, fuck that movie

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

CMonster wrote:Well this is getting redundant. So I'll finish with 4 simple points
1) gay, retarded, Armenian Santa Clause is funny, but to cartoonish to fit in the show
2)I'm right
3)Your wrong
4)Bridesmaids sucked, fuck that movie

Even where they poop in the sink?