Turkish Movies: Why So Many

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
yesistasty
925 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Turkish Movies: Why So Many

Post by yesistasty »

I noticed that my recommendations feed always has a bunch of obscure Turkish movies on it that of course I'm never going to bother to track down. It looks like they're beloved classics over there, though, because they have high rankings and glowing reviews (the reviews are in Turkish but I can tell they're glowing because they have a lot of exclamation points). Does Criticker have a disproportionately large Turkish demographic that's skewing my recommended movies list, or is Turkey just some kind of hidden bastion of master film-making that I've been heretofore unaware of.

:mrgreen: Best wishes all :mrgreen:

ultrahobo
731 Ratings

Re: Turkish Movies: Why So Many

Post by ultrahobo »

I also realised it recently but i was thinking since I'm Turkish and seen plenty of movies from here, that is pretty normal to see those recommendations. But I guess I was wrong since I can assume everyone gets them considering your post. I cannot answer about the maths of Criticker on how we get those suggestions or the Turkish population here but I believe I know some about Turkish cinema. And I would say you can easily ignore most them. Sure there are some valuable gems that is worthy to check but most of those on your main page are probably really low budget, local minded movies with bad plot. Plus theyre absolutely hard to find. Even though some of them are available on Youtube, you won't get any subtitles. Personally I like our cinema and would like to see it among more respectable ones like Iranian, Polish or Russian. But so far its not even close to that. About the high rates of Turks,I believe its because they love those movies and perhaps grew up with them. You can guess its hard to think badly on such movies. So those high rates probably thanks to nostalgia feeling. But I'm avare of the fact that it could be hard to enjoy (even impossible sometimes) for those unfamiliar with Turkey. As conclusion I don't mean you should turn your back against them completely but just approach with a little bit more investigation. There are some good ones.

(Come to think of it newer they get the rates could be more accurate.)

P u l p
3182 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

ultrahobo wrote:I also realised it recently but i was thinking since I'm Turkish and seen plenty of movies from here, that is pretty normal to see those recommendations. But I guess I was wrong since I can assume everyone gets them considering your post. I cannot answer about the maths of Criticker on how we get those suggestions or the Turkish population here but I believe I know some about Turkish cinema. And I would say you can easily ignore most them. Sure there are some valuable gems that is worthy to check but most of those on your main page are probably really low budget, local minded movies with bad plot. Plus theyre absolutely hard to find. Even though some of them are available on Youtube, you won't get any subtitles. Personally I like our cinema and would like to see it among more respectable ones like Iranian, Polish or Russian. But so far its not even close to that. About the high rates of Turks,I believe its because they love those movies and perhaps grew up with them. You can guess its hard to think badly on such movies. So those high rates probably thanks to nostalgia feeling. But I'm avare of the fact that it could be hard to enjoy (even impossible sometimes) for those unfamiliar with Turkey. As conclusion I don't mean you should turn your back against them completely but just approach with a little bit more investigation. There are some good ones.

(Come to think of it newer they get the rates could be more accurate.)

I have so many turkish movies with really high PSIs in my wishlist but I haven't seen any of them yet. Actually I just know Ceylan from turkish cinema. I really like too see some of really good turkish movies and I see there are a large number of turkish users here. So, can you help me?

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

This should help:

http://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=600&p=11333

Spunkie wrote:I already told it on another topic, we followed our way from a long living forum. Some are not even using the forum anymore but still uses criticker actively (can be said for myself also). Even though you won't understand the language if you barge a little through the place you'll notice there is a large database of discussions and information on the place. A few portion of them are my friends in real, but not much of the Turkish community I have a similar taste, at least nothing noticably different than any other country I noticed here.

But there is another thing our sub community effects in criticker, as well as classics, there are abundant movies that most of us watched through interaction and synergy for years. So this probably makes some of the rare, unknown movies with more than likely number of rankings for a random crowd. Criticker in itself works the same way, I found out many movies and directors I wouldn't encounter (the latest being Ken Ichikawa :) ).

As for you Paulo, there are movies that we all know and watched in Turkish cinema that aren't normally watched by cinema going crowd...like those Zeki Demirkubuz movies only a cinephile will bother with, so your prediction may be worth checking out ;).

http://www.sinemafanatik.com/yabbse/index.php

Our admin hasn't been updating the main site for years now and hasn't even been heard of since then. But the forum lives on.

http://www.sinemafanatik.com/yabbse/ind ... ;start=405

Last noticed number of us on criticker is 38(which is only a small portion of the forum).
Last edited by paulofilmo on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ehk2
8497 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

There are about 1600 Turkish movies here among 107000. It is proportionate to the weight of its cinema industry within the world cinema. The explanation is that criticker has a disproportionate number of Turkish people, which calculates PSI for its members.

P u l p
3182 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

paulofilmo wrote:This should help:

http://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=600&p=11333

Spunkie wrote:I already told it on another topic, we followed our way from a long living forum. Some are not even using the forum anymore but still uses criticker actively (can be said for myself also). Even though you won't understand the language if you barge a little through the place you'll notice there is a large database of discussions and information on the place. A few portion of them are my friends in real, but not much of the Turkish community I have a similar taste, at least nothing noticably different than any other country I noticed here.

But there is another thing our sub community effects in criticker, as well as classics, there are abundant movies that most of us watched through interaction and synergy for years. So this probably makes some of the rare, unknown movies with more than likely number of rankings for a random crowd. Criticker in itself works the same way, I found out many movies and directors I wouldn't encounter (the latest being Ken Ichikawa :) ).

As for you Paulo, there are movies that we all know and watched in Turkish cinema that aren't normally watched by cinema going crowd...like those Zeki Demirkubuz movies only a cinephile will bother with, so your prediction may be worth checking out ;).

http://www.sinemafanatik.com/yabbse/index.php

Our admin hasn't been updating the main site for years now and hasn't even been heard of since then. But the forum lives on.

http://www.sinemafanatik.com/yabbse/ind ... ;start=405

Last noticed number of us on criticker is 38(which is only a small portion of the forum).

Seems I need an invitation :(
Did you know almost 50 percent of Criticker's visitors are Russian? :shock:

ultrahobo
731 Ratings

Post by ultrahobo »

50 percent is Russian? What does it mean, they just visit and go? They're not members?

P u l p
3182 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

ultrahobo wrote:50 percent is Russian? What does it mean, they just visit and go? They're not members?

Exactly! I cant remember any user from Russia; at least none of my kumples is russian. Maybe they don't want to be identified. I don't know, it's what Alexa says.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

P u l p wrote:
ultrahobo wrote:50 percent is Russian? What does it mean, they just visit and go? They're not members?

Exactly! I cant remember any user from Russia; at least none of my kumples is russian. Maybe they don't want to be identified. I don't know, it's what Alexa says.

I'm Russian, but live in the US. Representation on forums is a very poor measure of site use/visitation, though. I have played a number of online games where over 50% of the player population was from Russia, but hardly any of them would post on the forums.

P u l p
3182 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

ShogunRua wrote:
P u l p wrote:

I'm Russian, but live in the US. Representation on forums is a very poor measure of site use/visitation, though. I have played a number of online games where over 50% of the player population was from Russia, but hardly any of them would post on the forums.

Yeah I play DOTA 2 sometimes and Russians are literally ruling there! At least 60 percent of players are russian, and they don't talk much there either.