Overrated films

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
AFlickering
3002 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Overrated films

Post by AFlickering »

i don't think you can access 'the searchers' at all until you realise that all the retarded sub-plots and inanely stereotypical characters are there to provide counterpoint, to deepen wayne's alienation. then you start understanding that it serves as a microcosm for nearly everything, there's endless riches to be found in it, not to mention visual cummage.

critics who put citizen kane first are usually boring as fuck, but yeah, also classic for a hundred different reasons.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

i actually hated both the kill bill movies and honestly cant see why anyone would love them.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Luna6ix wrote:i actually hated both the kill bill movies and honestly cant see why anyone would love them.

Exactly how I felt for years. Until I bought them (why did I buy them when I hated them? Honestly have no idea) and watched them again, and thought they were at least alright (rated them 72-77). Still not the fantastic films everyone seems to think they are. Don't see how they're considered anything but disappointments considering the fantastic films Tarantino made during the 90s.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Rufflesack wrote:
Luna6ix wrote:i actually hated both the kill bill movies and honestly cant see why anyone would love them.

Exactly how I felt for years. Until I bought them (why did I buy them when I hated them? Honestly have no idea) and watched them again, and thought they were at least alright (rated them 72-77). Still not the fantastic films everyone seems to think they are. Don't see how they're considered anything but disappointments considering the fantastic films Tarantino made during the 90s.

I can understand why some people might not like them, yet I also can't at the same time. I think "Kill Bill" is the best movie ever made. Maybe it's just because I enjoy over the top sensibilities in general and adore any extremely stylish films, but I also think the acting performances are extremely strong all round, especially Uma Thurman; and it has got to be to this date one of the most purely entertaining films I have seen. I think the storyline is simple yet irresistible, I think the homages are spot-on and very respectful, and I think everything is timed and executed (literally) better than I would ever have expected it to. Plus, Tarantino's sense of humour is not absent and I think there's a very consistent and satisfying combination of actual genuine drama with almost slapstick black comedy.

I can understand why Volume 1 at least gets some hate from people, but I think some of the criticism Volume 2 is getting is just...really baffling. Not that I'm saying it's bad - quite the contrary - but Volume 1 relied more on over-the-top splatstick and movie references. I think Volume 2 was more original and inventive, and it's own separate film with the violence replaced with dialogue and genuinely gripping drama. Is there anything in particular about the films you dislike?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Just about half of Stanley Kubrick's filmography. (And I say this as somebody who would put Kubrick in his top 15 directors, maybe top 10.) Particularly Full Metal Jacket, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove. Conversely, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining (even for as much as it is hailed) and Paths of Glory (ditto) are arguably underrated. Particularly EWS - I thought it was really great, and I can't see why more people don't share my opinion.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Criminal5 wrote:Just about half of Stanley Kubrick's filmography. (And I say this as somebody who would put Kubrick in his top 15 directors, maybe top 10.) Particularly Full Metal Jacket, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove. Conversely, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining (even for as much as it is hailed) and Paths of Glory (ditto) are arguably underrated. Particularly EWS - I thought it was really great, and I can't see why more people don't share my opinion.

I concur. I think "Eyes Wide Shut" is an outright masterpiece, and by far the best final entry in Kubrick's filmography that I would ever have hoped to see. Without a single doubt the most underrated film I have seen in my years, and one of the best as well. Stanley's third best achievement in my opinion, right behind "2001" on #2 and "A Clockwork Orange" on the #1 position. In terms of personal preference actually, it's my second favourite; and having seen the films which are generally considered his finest, that's never going to change. I love it heartily because it perfectly combines everything I love about not only film, but Stanley, and his uniquely brilliant directorial style - his devotion to all aspects of its production, his bold and skilled direction, his eye for beautiful visuals and compelling cinematography, the use of wonderful classical music, the strong performances, and the irresistible dark undertones. It also has some very stylistically different approaches from Stanley, and features the most Lynchian qualities in his films behind "The Shining". I actually loved Tom Cruise in it, even if he's an absolute freak nowadays, and even though Kidman plays a completely unlikable and annoying character in it, I still love her to bits and think she gives a solid and extremely hilarious performance (the scenes where she is completely stoned and drunk are some of the most hilarious ever). The entire orgy sequence is in my top 4, maybe 3 favourite film moments and I'd call the film easily the most haunting he has ever made.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I agree on the Kubrick remarks somewhat. I honestly never got what was so great about Full Metal Jacket (disregarding the first half hour or so, which is spectacular). Sure, it starts out great, but once they go into war territory it seemed to lose it's momentum and sense of direction. Only saw it once, but I was unimpressed, at least considering how great everyone says it is.

As for other Kubruck films the only ones I've seen are 2001 and Clockwork Orange. Both are fantastic, 2001 is probably the film I've seen that captivated me the most. I can't agree that it's overrated. I can understand how people can find it long, or even dull, but it's length and slow pace never bothered me.

I've wanted to see Eyes Wide Shut for some time, been waiting to stumble across a cheap DVD of it.

NoSex
1988 Ratings

Post by NoSex »

probably just the ones that irritate me the most & i can pull from the top of my head:

ELEPHANT
JUNO
PULP FICTION
CASABLANCA
THE DARK KNIGHT
FIGHT CLUB
KIDS
SCARFACE

AFlickering
3002 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

eyes wide shut is my favourite kubrick, the performances are perfect no matter what people say

the ultimate answer to this thread is shawshank of course

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Full Metal Jacket is one of my favourites. It's genuinely genius.