'Order List By Your PSI' problem

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
iceblox
3620 Ratings
Your TCI: na

'Order List By Your PSI' problem

Post by iceblox »

OK, here is the issue - when I go into a tag and do an 'Order List By Your PSI', the movies are ordered based on what Criticker thinks my PSI is, ignoring the fact that I've overridden some of the PSI on the list by rating them.

To demonstrate, in this tag, I've seen all but one, and rated those:

Now, when I click on 'Order List By Your PSI', what I am expecting to see is that everything will be ordered by my ranking (for the ones I've ranked) + PSI (for the ones I haven't), something like this:

(the above list isn't generated from a tag-list, but from Joseph Barbera's profile page, but you get the idea...)

But what I got is this:

Why do I care about the PSI now when I've already ranked them? How can I see it in the order of my ranking (for the ones I've ranked) + PSI (for the ones I haven't)?

This clearly is a bug to me and must be fixed.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: 'Order List By Your PSI' problem

Post by mpowell »

I don't agree this is a bug. The goal of this functionality is to list all films by your PSI, which is what it does. It does so regardless of whether you've ranked the film.

A lot of users enjoy seeing their PSIs for films they've already ranked -- it's interesting to compare what Criticker guessed vs. what you actually ranked. You can always select the filtering option to remove the films you've seen so you have a more "pure" list of PSIs, if you'd like.

I do understand your point. You'd like to see the option to "use film ranking as opposed to PSI when available". This would be another filter which we could definitely look into. I'll add it to the list of future enhancements :)

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

I agree with mpowell for it not being a bug, but simply a lack of a certain feature, and I agree with iceblox for desiring this feature ;).

iceblox
3620 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

mpowell wrote:I don't agree this is a bug. The goal of this functionality is to list all films by your PSI, which is what it does. It does so regardless of whether you've ranked the film.

A lot of users enjoy seeing their PSIs for films they've already ranked -- it's interesting to compare what Criticker guessed vs. what you actually ranked.

Really? I can't imagine why anyone would want to dwell over what their PSI was, after they've already seen the movie, but maybe it's just me, so I won't argue that point. However, I can only find this feature being even remotely useful, if you were listing the PSI and the ranks side by side. i.e. in 3 columns - Movie Name, PSI, Rank. This way, the user doesn't have to switch back and forth between windows and can easily compare between the PSI and the actual ranking.

mpowell wrote:I do understand your point. You'd like to see the option to "use film ranking as opposed to PSI when available". This would be another filter which we could definitely look into. I'll add it to the list of future enhancements :)

Yes, this is what I want. So, for example, if I am looking at all the Tom & Jerry shorts directed by Hanna-Barbera, then I'd know where the ones I haven't seen, fall in between the list of the ones I've already seen. Thanks.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I too agree with mpowell, I find it largely useful to be able to see what my PSI is on films I've rated.. I'd love for that addition to be made to a film's page, that you could switch between your ranking and PSI right there, 'cause I don't think you can (and, to be honest, when viewing a film is the only times I start wondering what my PSI was).

On the other hand, I also agree with iceblox in that this sorting method should definitely be added. That goes for other sorting methods too, like I've proposed earlier (sorting by year, etc).

iceblox
3620 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

Yoshiking wrote:sorting by year

This would also be nice. There were quite a few times I really wished I could sort on the year of release.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Yeah, it'll be largely convenient for instance in award winner lists or in the cases of non-numbered sequelage (the James Bond series being an obvious example). Now Firefox is telling me "sequelage" isn't a word, but I'm going to use it all the same just because I like it. :P

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

As part of the large code roll-out yesterday, we included this. You can now choose to include your rankings, when you sort a list of films by PSI

Just click the "Use Your Rankings For Sort" link, when viewing a list of PSIs.