Does criticker make automatic adjustments to your scores over time?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
morphinapg
1644 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Does criticker make automatic adjustments to your scores over time?

Post by morphinapg »

Like perhaps, locking the percentile rather than the score itself?

I ask because I personally rate things on a curved scale, so that means when I add something new, everything above and below that will have a tiny change to its score. When that change is an entire percentage point, I will go into criticker and update it. So in my ratings spreadsheet, I keep a record of what the score was when I last updated that movie on criticker, and it compares it to the current place on the curve, and highlights any changes I need to make. So I go in and make those changes (usually only a handful of changes each time). Most of the time, criticker shows the score I expect it to show, but occasionally, the number criticker has will be slightly different than the number I recorded in my spreadsheet last time I updated the score for that thing, usually by 1 or 2 points. I was wondering if Criticker was doing its own curving internally, and making micro-adjustments to the other scores when you add a new score, similar to what my spreadsheet is doing. The only problem is Criticker doesn't know the exact ranking I have for each movie/tv/game, so if it's making an adjustment, that adjustment isn't always perfect.

If it's not making an automatic adjustment, then the only thing I could imagine is that sometimes Criticker simply does not save the changes to the score when I edit the score. If so, that would be a bug.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Re: Does criticker make automatic adjustments to your scores over time?

Post by BadCosmonaut »

The PSI might change, but if you rate a movie then it should never change your rated score.

If you're certain it changed your rated score (or if you're certain that it didn't save a change to your rated score that you tried to submit) then that definitely sounds like a bug.
Last edited by BadCosmonaut on Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Also, I'm curious about your rating system. After you watch a movie and go to rate it, how do you decide what to rate it? Do you sift through your list of movies you've already rated and find the exact spot where it fits in? Like to where the movie you just watched is slightly worse than the movie above it and slightly better than the movie below it?

morphinapg
1644 Ratings

Post by morphinapg »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:00 pm
The PSI might change, but if you rate a movie then it should never change your rated score.

If you're certain it changed your rated score (or if you're certain that it didn't save a change to your rated score that you tried to submit) then that definitely sounds like a bug.
I can't say whether it changed it or didn't save it, but I am certain that the score I see in there is not the score that I told it to be last time I edited the movie. This happens often enough. Easy enough to fix, of course, so it's not a huge issue for me, but if it's either not saving scores or making minor changes over time, either one could definitely be a problem for others who don't constantly monitor their older scores.
BadCosmonaut wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:02 pm
Also, I'm curious about your rating system. After you watch a movie and go to rate it, how do you decide what to rate it? Do you sift through your list of movies you've already rated and find the exact spot where it fits in? Like to where the movie you just watched is slightly worse than the movie above it and slightly better than the movie below it?
It's kind of an interesting system. I give points to things like directing, writing, actors, visuals, sound, music, and rewatchability, which gives me a base score. Then I compare it with other movies in the spreadsheet on and around that base score level, and manually rank it between those movies, sometimes changing the base scores as movies can drift higher or lower in the list.

The percent score that I save on criticker is a calculated value, based on a formula I created where both the median and average movie rating comes to 70. The curve looks like this: