The 30 Harshest Filmmaker-on-Filmmaker Insults In History

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The 30 Harshest Filmmaker-on-Filmmaker Insults In History

Post by ShogunRua »

ayall wrote:
The Tim Burton not following the comics is very similar to the argument we had about x-men... In my opinion, it doesn't need to follow 1:1, it's a movie not a comic... so you build on the core plot lines and try to develop something that will adapt to the screen. I think Tim did a pretty good job with Batman and i don't think an over abundance of comic reading/following should have really been a prerequisite (again, same with the more recent x-men movies).

I completely agree. I don't recall us having an argument about X-Men though, heh.

Replicant wrote:I don't think Burton's Batman was necessarily terrible, but for some reason I can't look at it the same anymore, but I still get a thrill from it. I genuinely like Batman Returns, so take that as you will. It's all the points from the first film with added creativity. I don't mind if comic movies stray from the source material, you need to adapt (comics should not play out like films, and films can't get away with the conventions of comics afterall),

Sure, I liked "Batman Returns" even more than the first one.

Here are two more quotes, Kubrick on Speilberg (as told by Gilliam one minute in)

That is as harsh as it is true

Meh, not really. Kind of a stupid video.

Obviously, it doesn't take a genius to realize that Spielberg makes popular mass entertainment, with happy endings, simple themes and characters, and the occasional bit of pandering. Considering his main target audience is 8-16 year olds though, that is all to be expected.

What annoys me is the praise for Kubrick's story sensibilities, which are often just as primitive and simplistic, although in terms of presentation/style, Kubrick is far superior to Spielberg, so they're "dressed up" more.

Kubrick never wrote an original script in his life, and would absolutely butcher the ideas in many of the stories he adapted, from "The Shining" (which Stephen King hated) to "Lolita" (which Nabokov hated, and I did too, having read the book first).

Kubrick was all about style, not substance. Sure, in terms of style he was the maybe the greatest ever, but in terms of substance, he was a zero.

The mention of "Eyes Wide Shut" is especially fucking rich, since the message behind that film is as idiotic as anything in a Spielberg flick. "Sex is evil and leads to bad things!"

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

TrixRabbi wrote:Am I the only one who felt Gallo's comments against Sofia Coppola came off as extremely sexist? Maybe it wasn't about her being a woman, but insinuating that the only reason she's making films is because she's fucking a filmmaker is extremely offensive to me. It really does surprise me FF Coppola cast him in Tetro, and it makes me wonder whether he knew about Gallo's comments before filming. Honestly if I were Coppola, I could look past an insult directed at myself, but what he said about his daughter was terrible.

I find it more strange that you focused in on that and didn't even mention the anti-Semitic remarks, the gay stuff, etc.

Replicant wrote:
Here are two more quotes, Kubrick on Speilberg (as told by Gilliam one minute in)

That is as harsh as it is true

And Greenaway on Scorcese

A lot more critical than most, but man the way he delivers this is great

Both of these are pretty stupid. Every Holocaust movie is supposed to be about failure? Seems so narrow minded and ridiculous that it's shocking it's coming from supposedly "open minded" thinkers.

And the Greenaway thing just seems absurd too. The guy just appears straight up bitter and miserable and to compare a marginally talented Griffith to Scorsese is truly unbelievable. Guy is probably just mad that no one knows who the fuck he is while Scorsese will always be remembered and studied long after he will. Just watched another interview with him in which he said cinema should not have a narrative because that's what books are for. So fucking dumb

Anomaly
1895 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

4. Ingmar Bergman on Jean-Luc Godard:
“I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual, and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a fucking bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin, Féminin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.”

ahahahaha yes

ZayanK
764 Ratings

Post by ZayanK »

I'll have to say I agree on most of the stuff they say about Godard.

*evacuates thread*