Watching a movie with a ranking desision in mind

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
stoickov
1686 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Watching a movie with a ranking desision in mind

Post by stoickov »

Am I going mad, or is it normal?
I watch a movie, and from about half of it, I start to think about how I'm going to rate it. It's killing my joy of watching it, actually.

It's one of reasons I've started this thread, but I suspect it's just something wrong with me.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Watching a movie with a ranking desision in mind

Post by ShogunRua »

qba100 wrote:Am I going mad, or is it normal?
I watch a movie, and from about half of it, I start to think about how I'm going to rate it. It's killing my joy of watching it, actually.

It's one of reasons I've started this thread, but I suspect it's just something wrong with me.

I usually don't think too much about a likely score until the end, but sometimes a number pops into my head partway through the film. This is obviously a far more common occurrence with bad movies, as I'm usually bored, and my mind wanders more.

Regardless, I don't fixate on it, and instead think about something else. Just let your mind wander to other subjects.

edkrak
3747 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Yeah I guess it's something that happens to most people who rate thousands of films. Sometimes it just comes up, but similar to Shogun it happens to me with films that are likely to end up in T1-T2. I'm super bored and I start thinking "OMG this film is sooo 15", but then rubber alien mutant shows up and somebody blows up his head "YAY, finally! +5" and cute blonde takes off her clothes "mmmmm, looks like it's going to be 25 now". :lol: But if it prevents you from enjoying good films, maybe just stop rating them for a while.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
qba100 wrote:Am I going mad, or is it normal?

I usually don't think too much about a likely score until the end, but sometimes a number pops into my head partway through the film. This is obviously a far more common occurrence with bad movies, as I'm usually bored, and my mind wanders more.

Regardless, I don't fixate on it, and instead think about something else. Just let your mind wander to other subjects.

That's me pretty much. Rating a film usually pops into my head in the first 1/3-1/2 if it's mediocre. If it's down or especially if its up, I'm wondering if it's gonna maintain that trend. Then there's the specter of changing my initial reaction, even marginally, like I just did with The Counselor. (Moving one from a 9 to a 10 may not seem that much of a shift to some, but with my rating system, the extremes, especially at the high end, is the end I care the most about.)

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I used to do this, but after I simplified my rating system there's no real need to think about what rating I'll give the film any more. Now I find myself formulating a mini-review in my head while watching the film. Which is less bothersome, because it is at least somewhat stimulating.

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

Yeah, I've found myself doing this in the past. I can change my impression over the rest of the movie, and it doesn't affect my enjoyment, so I don't really see it as a problem.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Rufflesack wrote:Now I find myself formulating a mini-review in my head while watching the film. Which is less bothersome, because it is at least somewhat stimulating.

Yeah, I have definitely caught myself doing this many times, for films both bad and good. But as you state, it's never particularly annoying, and often verbalizing my like for a movies makes me appreciate it even more.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

ShogunRua wrote:often verbalizing my like for a movies makes me appreciate it even more.

I've experienced this many times as well.

begoniabol
2542 Ratings

Post by begoniabol »

Sounds like you've got the Criticker disease. I have it too

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I sometimes formulate a score in my head, like others usually for a mediocre or bad film. Which makes sense as with a really entertaining or good movie you aren't thinking about anything else.

Mini-reviews I tend to write after some reflection, and decide if I have anything even remotely insightful to say or take the lazy man one liner approach. :D