How Many Films?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Midaso
7564 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How Many Films?

Post by Midaso »

How many films do you consider someone should have watched to be really knowledgeable on film? I mean,I've ranked 779 on here,but I feel like I've only scratched the surface. I feel like it would have to be at least 2500,and 20+ every year from now right back to the 40s or earlier...

r.Din
2898 Ratings

Re: How Many Films?

Post by r.Din »

2197 ranked. Been watching films for 40 years. Feel reasonably knowledgeable but always gaps to fill... it's an ongoing process :D

I guess it's also not just about watching, but about discussing, reading, analysing etc which tends to also happen over time.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Some people think the 40s or the 70s were the golden age of films. But acting in the 40s by today's standards was for the most part overwrought, and in regards to storytelling, film was just getting started in the 70s--with some obvious notable exceptions. And of course, evaluating films will always be largely subjective anyway. And then there's the politics of it. So what're you gonna do? You pays your money and takes your chances that at least some of what gets released makes a connection with you. Moral, if you wanna know what's really good, just ax me. 8-)

VinegarBob
4161 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Stewball wrote: in regards to storytelling, film was just getting started in the 70s--with some obvious notable exceptions.

Whoa. You can expect a visit from ShogunRua some time soon for that comment. I'm off to get some popcorn - this should be good :D

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

It's not about watching a set number of films, where you tick over 2,000 movies and suddenly you're an expert.

Your original post asks about becoming "really knowledgeable on film".....but that's a pretty broad concept. You might be better suited to picking a narrower focus, ie. individual eras or genres to become knowledgeable about, rather than all of film history. Ideally, something you're personally really interested in.

For example, I've seen almost 3,000 movies, including many from every decade since the 40's....and while I know a lot of stuff about film in general, but I wouldn't consider myself "really knowledgeable" on any particular type of films except kung fu, 70's Eurosleaze and 80's horror.

Also, just watching movies isn't enough if you want to know your stuff IMO. You need to read and watch stuff about movies too.... Lots of interesting and useful tidbits of knowledge don't show up on screen.

hellboy76
6342 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

4545 films ranked, and I only know one thing about movies. What I like.

Paxton
3718 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

I think the easiest way to learn about film is to seek out differing views, especially from your own. Why do people laud a movie you hate, or dismiss something you love? Through this alone you'll begin to appreciate different aspects of the craft. And as always, read people that are smarter than you. That's easier for some of us than others.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

seen about 1100 features, don't feel knowledgeable in the slightest. i've also been taking a rather broad approach, picking films from all different countries and decades and genres, so i don't feel i know much about any special area either.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

It's really a question of quality versus quantity. If the number of films you have seen includes a bunch of Looney Tunes shorts and/or low-budget, mindless trash, (both of which apply to myself!) that isn't contributing as much to your knowledge of film as watching either important classics or even vital entries in a genre or from a famous director.

I feel like there are many people who have seen 1,000-1,500 movies that are bigger film experts than I am. Really, the only subgenre where I consider myself a real expert are American martial arts movies of the 80s and 90s. Growing up, I must have seen practically all of them.

Rumplesink wrote:
Stewball wrote: in regards to storytelling, film was just getting started in the 70s--with some obvious notable exceptions.

Whoa. You can expect a visit from ShogunRua some time soon for that comment. I'm off to get some popcorn - this should be good :D

Hate to disappoint my fans, but I wasn't planning on responding to Stewie. He has posted this ridiculous assertion many times on this forum (as if to re-assure himself "Yes, I really AM watching the best movies! Older or foreign movies are inferior! Yes I really AM watching the best movies!"), and at this point, he is really just punishing himself.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

TheDenizen wrote:For example, I've seen almost 3,000 movies, including many from every decade since the 40's....and while I know a lot of stuff about film in general, but I wouldn't consider myself "really knowledgeable" on any particular type of films except kung fu, 70's Eurosleaze and 80's horror.

Eurosleaze.....? Now that sounds like a genre I need to explore, and I suspect going down for the subtitles won't be much of an issue.

Hellboy76 wrote:4545 films ranked, and I only know one thing about movies. What I like.

Well WTF do U know?

Paxton wrote: And as always, read people that are smarter than you. That's easier for some of us than others.

Yeah, or damn near impossible.

ShogunHua wrote:Hate to disappoint my fans, but I wasn't planning on responding to Stewie. He has posted this ridiculous assertion many times on this forum (as if to re-assure himself "Yes, I really AM watching the best movies! Older or foreign movies are inferior! Yes I really AM watching the best movies!"), and at this point, he is really just punishing himself.

Punishing myself, how, by declining numerous doses of self-flagellation? In fact, I'd rather take a cat-o-nine-tails wielded by Attila the Hun rather than to watch It's a Wonderful Life (talk about irony) ever again.

Rosebud.