Mekong Hotel
Mekong-Hotel
Mekong-Hotel

Mekong Hotel

2012
Mekong Hotel is a portrait of a hotel near the Mekong River in the north-east of Thailand. The river there marks the border between Thailand and Laos. In the bedrooms and terraces, Apichatpong held a rehearsal with his crew for a movie that he wrote years ago called Ecstasy Garden. The film shuffles different realms, fact and fiction, expressing the bonds between a vampire-like mother and her daughter, the young lovers and the river. (mubi.com)
MUBIMUBI Amazon Channel

As much as I enjoy rivers, classical guitar, flirting and zombies, this movie sucked ass hard. The experimental sound mix was probably the major off-putting factor, although I can't say the visual or narrative elements would have done it for me otherwise. Try again, Apichatpong.
Nice exercise that puts together conversations about past (wars) and present (a flood, a couple of lovers) and myths (zombies, vampires, ghosts, you choose it) in Joe's arresting naturalistic, still shots, all of them placed in the always impersonal but heartwarming hotel spaces.
i try to form my toughts on this film, it starts raining really hard, i go to the balcony to appreciate the rain, somebody is smoking a cigarette, i catch some raindorps with the back of my hand

Submitted bynrm5nrm5 on 25 May 2012