Takers

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Pickpocket
3024 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Takers

Post by Pickpocket »

spring wrote:You can't judge a book by its cover...Nobody was knowing "The Hangover" would be such a hit....chill guys

You forgot to post how you're gonna watch this movie on your dish tv.

frederic_g54
3017 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Pickpocket wrote:
spring wrote:You can't judge a book by its cover...Nobody was knowing "The Hangover" would be such a hit....chill guys

You forgot to post how you're gonna watch this movie on your dish tv.

only $ 19,99 a month, take note fellas

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

The leads in "The Hangover" were all actors I had had positive experiences with in the past. If this movie were helmed by such I would be hopeful even though its premise is somewhat boring to me. I would be more optimistic were these not actors I have had poor experiences with in nearly everything they've done that I've seen.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Melvin Smif wrote:

The leads in "The Hangover" were all actors I had had positive experiences with in the past. If this movie were helmed by such I would be hopeful even though its premise is somewhat boring to me. I would be more optimistic were these not actors I have had poor experiences with in nearly everything they've done that I've seen.

Enough of this revisionist nonsense.

Ed Helms had starred in "Meet Dave", the disasterous, unfunny Eddie Murphy vehicle, as well as the atrocious Ari Gold film "The Goods" prior to "The Hangover".

Zach G. was/is a terrific stand-up comedian, but holy fuck did he star in some awful trash; "Out Cold", "What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", "G-Force", I could go on and on...

Bradley Cooper was in one good movie, "Wedding Crashers", against utter shit like "The Rocker", "Yes Man", "Failure to Launch", "He's Just not that Into You", "Changing Lanes", and "All About Steve".

The point is, these guys all had horrible track records prior to "The Hangover". Guess that one also sucked by proxy, right?

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

ShogunRua wrote:
Melvin Smif wrote:

Enough of this revisionist nonsense.

Ed Helms had starred in "Meet Dave", the disasterous, unfunny Eddie Murphy vehicle, as well as the atrocious Ari Gold film "The Goods" prior to "The Hangover".

Zach G. was/is a terrific stand-up comedian, but holy fuck did he star in some awful trash; "Out Cold", "What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", "G-Force", I could go on and on...

Bradley Cooper was in one good movie, "Wedding Crashers", against utter shit like "The Rocker", "Yes Man", "Failure to Launch", "He's Just not that Into You", "Changing Lanes", and "All About Steve".

The point is, these guys all had horrible track records prior to "The Hangover". Guess that one also sucked by proxy, right?

When I said “positive experiences” I wasn’t limiting myself only to the movies they’ve been in. I know this is a movie forum but I was including all of the work I’d been fortunate to watch.

-Zach G.- Not only his comedic work but also his work on “The Tim and Eric Show, Great Job”, “Dog Bites Man”, his “Between Two Ferns” stuff. (Also you can’t use “G-Force” to argue the point since it hadn’t come out yet).

-Ed Helms – His work on “The Daily Show” and “The Office” alone is enough for me to say yes I’ll give a movie with him in it a chance.

-Bradley Cooper – I may have to concede on Cooper, with the exception of “Wedding Crashers” I had never found him all that great. Even in “The Hangover” it was plain to me that the role had been likely written for Vince Vaughn but he was too expensive.

So…no “The Hangover” did not “suck by proxy”.

I was merely inferring that using “The Hangover” wasn’t the best choice in arguing that “Taker” might be some sleeper hit. When I saw the cast line up for “The Hangover” I said hell yes. When I see the cast line up for “Takers” I have difficulty placing most of the actors and the one’s I do remember I mostly wince.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Melvin Smif wrote:(Also you can’t use “G-Force” to argue the point since it hadn’t come out yet).

Wasn't sure about the dates; I watched "The Hangover" after G-Force's theatrical run mostly ended, but the latter actually premiered a month later.

I was merely inferring that using “The Hangover” wasn’t the best choice in arguing that “Taker” might be some sleeper hit. When I saw the cast line up for “The Hangover” I said hell yes. When I see the cast line up for “Takers” I have difficulty placing most of the actors and the one’s I do remember I mostly wince.

No one can touch my "Precious" example, however; although I thought it was horrible garbage, Freddy G absolutely adored "Precious", which, prior to its release, had a far more wretched cast of actors and actresses than "Takers" does.

Anyways, if "Takers" was meant to be a serious war drama or whatever, or it had a particularly dumb trailer, bash away, sure. But something that is meant to be a brainless bit of action fun, with an average poster? How can anyone tell?

tef
1361 Ratings

Post by tef »

Cooper was great in Kitchen Confidential.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

tef wrote:Cooper was great in Kitchen Confidential.

Hmm haven't seen that I'll have to take a look. It isn't that he's a terrible actor or anything I just haven't seen him much, though he was certainly the weakest link in "Hangover".

tef
1361 Ratings

Post by tef »

Melvin Smif wrote:
tef wrote:Cooper was great in Kitchen Confidential.

Hmm haven't seen that I'll have to take a look. It isn't that he's a terrible actor or anything I just haven't seen him much, though he was certainly the weakest link in "Hangover".

I might just like Anthony Bourdain's book too much. :P I thought he did a very good job, and the show was entertaining and fast paced. Realistic kitchen problems ensued...it's nice if you like cookery.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I wish I was Anthony Bourdain.