To the people who actually rate out of 100

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
JohnnyDavid
216 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: To the people who actually rate out of 100

Post by JohnnyDavid »

I just think it seems kind of arbitrary to rate out of 1-100, especially since some films can't really be compared, like how can you compare The Hangover to something like Citizen Kane? A Clockwork Orange to Monty Python And The Holy Grail?

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

JohnnyDavid wrote:I just think it seems kind of arbitrary to rate out of 1-100, especially since some films can't really be compared, like how can you compare The Hangover to something like Citizen Kane? A Clockwork Orange to Monty Python And The Holy Grail?

I think they can. It's really just a ranking of which movie gave me more enjoyment, broadly defined. Sure, I laugh more during The Hangover, but the satisfaction and enjoyment I get out of Citizen Kane's ending exceeds watching a naked Kim Jeong beat three people with a crowbar. And strangely enough, A Clockwork Orange and Monty Python both have the same ranking for me (88). They fall in the same place because they both overwhelm me with emotion and they maintain a brilliant overarching style throughout. The emotions and styles they use are both vastly different, but they both give me great enjoyment.

And, to be perfectly honest, this is always a bit arbitrary, as hard as I try to be accurate. But I like my rankings to be specific, so I use the whole scale.

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Yeah, it's mostly just a rating of overall enjoyment. I just use more numbers. And 100's not an arbitrary number in a base 10 counting system.

IdahoSpud
680 Ratings

Post by IdahoSpud »

I think the difference between 62 and 63 is impossible to distinguish, especially, as you say, when we have different moods.

However, I can definitely distinguish between my most liked movies. I watch my favorites every year, and my moods average-out, so I can definitely tell a difference in my top 5 movies.

I resent being limited to giving all 5 movies a score of 10. I love that I can realistically give one a 92, one a 93, one a 95, one a 96, and one a 97.

I'm leaving 98 and 99 open for a movies that are closer to perfectly enjoyable than my favorite so far, and I'm leaving the 100 rating open for a perfectly enjoyable movie, if it ever comes along.

One evidence that I can fairly accurately divide movies into more than 5 or 10 categories is to be found on everyonesacritic.com It has a 13 step rating system from F to A+. It also has a graph that shows how many movies you have in each grade. My graph is very much closer to a perfect bell curve than most others there. I didn't try to get that curve, it just happened because I can usually judge whether one movie is more or less enjoyable than another.

You notice I use the word enjoyment a lot. That's because enjoyment is the only thing that matters to me. I'm not being paid to rate movies for other people so I don't. I'm not being paid to rate movies for their camera work so I don't.

There's no way we can be totally objective anyway. Not even close. Everyone has a different personality, and so we all see each movie differently. We can't possibly rate them for others. Oh, a professional critic that's trying his best to give people an idea of whether they will like a movie or not, can do a fair job most of the time, but only by his words, not by his rating. The biggest evidence is on IMDb. Every movie that has a few thousand votes, have votes ranging from 1 to 10. That leaves me with the conclusion that we can only rate them for ourselves.

In actual fact, I would like a rating system that goes from -100 to +100. That would allow me to give a movie a negative number when I felt it was doing me harm by the evil concepts it portrayed, instead of lumping it in with the movies that were not enjoyable, but not harmful either. Just not fair to give both a 0.

That's why I've adjusted the 0 to 100 rating system here to mean the following: A 0 means -100, 5 means -50, 9 means -10, 10 means 0, 12 means 10, 15 means 20, 20 means 30, 35 means 40, 50 means 50, and 100 means 100.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

JohnnyDavid wrote:What's the difference between a 62 and a 63? Do you use some sort of system where you rate different aspects of the movie and then end up with a score out of 100? Do you just pick a number after you watch a movie?

Generally it means that the person rating the two films likes one (63) more than the other (62).

Unless someone is rating films backward for some reason where they give lower scores to the films they like most. Then it would mean that the one rated 62 was better than the one rated 63, but that would just be absurd and silly.

I think it is safe to consider the film rated 63 is liked more than the one rated 62. Hope that helps.

JohnSandwich
3677 Ratings

Post by JohnSandwich »

OP: Sick life, dude.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

oh god. Sometimes I start thinking of numbers while I'm watching the movie.

72? no, no, 71.

The dialogue with my mind is disquieting.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

JohnnyDavid wrote:I just think it seems kind of arbitrary to rate out of 1-100, especially since some films can't really be compared, like how can you compare The Hangover to something like Citizen Kane? A Clockwork Orange to Monty Python And The Holy Grail?

There are pure entertainment films, and then there is genuine "art", with significant emotional impact and/or intellectual depth. I grade the pure entertainment movies, like The Hangover, on a different scale than I do the art pictures. In fact, I'm hardly even comparing the two at all.

Instead, I'm comparing them within their own film type.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

paulofilmo wrote:oh god. Sometimes I start thinking of numbers while I'm watching the movie.

72? no, no, 71.

I do this too, but only on the 10-point scale. I don't start agonizing over the 100-point scale until afterwards.

Although it's actually a rather quick decision most of the time. If I've been agonizing over 7 vs. 8 during the movie, it's usually pretty easy to call it 78 or 81 or whatever afterwards.

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

paulofilmo wrote:oh god. Sometimes I start thinking of numbers while I'm watching the movie.

72? no, no, 71.

Thank God. I thought I was the only one.