Audrey Hepburn

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
frederic_g54
3015 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Audrey Hepburn

Post by frederic_g54 »

Today, I was introduced to the charming and talented Audrey Hepburn, while watching "Roman Holiday".

I'd like to see more of her work, dunno if there are any fans out there,
but which of her films do you recommend I watch next ?

thx in advance

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Re: Audrey Hepburn

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Charade If you only watch one other Hepburn film, make it this one. She's fantastic in it and so is Grant.
How To Steal A Million A bit light but a lot of playful fun. The rapport between her and Peter O'toole is great.
Two for the Road A bit more serious than the other two but still fun and great editing. Here her foil is a great performance from Albert Finney.

Hmm, it seems my favorite films of hers have great male leads for her to play off of. My Fair Lady is pretty good too and she does well, but here I'd say she's overshadowed by her male lead in this one and the film has some pacing problems.

Spunkie
5483 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Her trademark role is Breakfast at Tiffany's though I wasn't able to grow a liking for this film.
Sabrina is her another famous role, same applies. Think about her cat-like behaviour in Roman Holiday and multiply by 2 for these.
I love Hepburn's two facades on My Fair Lady even if it's not very good acting.
Charade and Wait Until Dark are decent movies with some more Hepburnia.

darkman
3830 Ratings

Post by darkman »

I'm a big fan of Audrey Hepburn. My favorit movies with her are:
Wait Until Dark (1967) - Hepburn plays a blind woman
Roman Holiday (1953) - No wonder this get's you started

Other very good movies starring Audrey Hepburn:
Love in the Afternoon (1957) - It's from Billy Wilder, who i also love.
The Children's Hour (1961) - You can see that this movie is based on a play. Which isn't a bad thing. Excellent acting.
Sabrina (1954) - Also from Billy Wilder.
My Fair Lady (1964) - A classic. I like it a bit more than Pygmalion because it stars Audrey Hepburn. ;)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - Also a classic. Sooner or later you have to see this movie. Hepburn plays quite a different character in this movie compared to her others.

jamericli
42 Ratings

Post by jamericli »

A few months ago I was in the same situation as you after watching Roman Holiday by chance. I have watched most of her famous movies since then and my considerations are:

See Sabrina. In my opinion it's the movie where she's most similar to the Audrey Hepburn you've seen in the Roman Holiday movie. Not surprisingly since she's still in b&w and it's released only a year after Roman Holiday.

The last Audrey Hepburn movie I watched recently is Wait Until Dark. I wasn't honestly expecting much from this movie but it turned out to be a real gem! She appears much older in it and plays a blind woman. Highly recommended.

Could you honestly not watch Breakfast at Tiffany's? It's her most iconic role as Holly Golightly. It features a really memorable song 'Moon River' which somewhat sounds nostalgic.

Two for the Road is a great movie. Seriously makes you think about marriage and how it evolves over time. I really liked it because of the theme it deals with.

Charade wasn't bad. It's a suspense movie and has been described as "the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made". I only like it mildly because I didn't expect to see her in that role at first but overall it's not bad. Surely you'll like it more than I do.

To summarise, my favs:
1. Roman Holiday
2. Wait Until Dark
3. Sabrina

*in descending order of liking

I liked less:
Funny Face- It's a musical. I guess it's supposed to be 'just fun' but I don't like really it.
My Fair Lady - Maybe Julie Andrews should have played this movie instead of Audrey Hepburn.
The Nun's Story - I tend to be patient with movies but this one is totally not for me.
War And Peace - Maybe the fact of knowing that Henry Fonda only played in the movie for money though conscious he was too old for his character affected my opinion of the movie even before having watched it.

Incidentally, I still have the folder where I kept the imdb links to all of her movies I projected to watch in my toolbar. ;)

frederic_g54
3015 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

thx again folks !!!   8-)