Impersonation / False Identity

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Impersonation / False Identity

Post by nauru »

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e35162

I'm seeking films which feature a character assuming the identity of another person as a central element of the story.

Good Example: Gattaca. The main character spends almost the entire film pretending to be someone else, and goes to great lengths to maintain his cover.

What I'm not looking for is Tom Cruise wearing a mask for two scenes in Mission Impossible, and then switching back to Tom Cruise.

Please help! Thanks.

td888
3958 Ratings

Re: Impersonation / False Identity

Post by td888 »

That could be an interesting collection, I'll keep an eye on it.

One film that comes to mind, Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)...?

Edit: Coming to America?

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Thanks for Mrs Doubtfire, added that.

Coming to America... that's an interesting one, I don't remember the film well enough to remember who he was impersonating though. I thought he was still royalty in New York, and brought all his gold and treasure, which got stolen so he eventually became indistinguishable from a regular person. (?)

EDIT: I will also add one of Heath Ledger's best films, Casanova.
EDIT2: Added School of Rock, Face Off, and Catch Me If You Can.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

The Talented Mr. Ripley should be on there, no?

What about Catch Me If You Can? He takes up multiple false identities, which is a central element of the film, but it's multiple identities instead of one.

(Harry Potter spoiler) I don't remember which, but one of the Harry Potter movies (I think either #3 or #4) involves as a central plot point a character taking up the identity of Professor Mad Eye for the majority of the film. It's not revealed until the end, though.

There are lots of movies that involve twists at the end where we find out one character was "actually ____ all along!" Not sure if you want those or not. I'm always hesitant to add anything to a collection where its inclusion, by its very nature, is a spoiler for the film.

Edit: you snuck in your Catch Me If You Can edit while I was posting.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Good points you've raised.

What I'm going for is films that make some exploration of the experience of being an imposter. So, films where only a secondary character is revealed late in the story to be operating under false pretenses don't really qualify, I would argue, since the viewer doesn't get to share in their deceit.

Does that clarify somewhat? I know it's a bit of a grey area, but this requirement would likely rule out most of the potential cases where inclusion in this collection would itself be a spoiler.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

nauru wrote:So, films where only a secondary character is revealed late in the story to be operating under false pretenses don't really qualify.

How about one of the main characters, or the protagonist itself?

i.e. [spoiler]The Impostor, the PKD adaptation[/spoiler]

"the viewer doesn't get to share in their deceit"... in many films that come my mind this exactly the case, but that's what the whole point of the movie is, they appear to be someone else.
Last edited by bowfinger on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

nauru wrote:Good points you've raised.

What I'm going for is films that make some exploration of the experience of being an imposter. So, films where only a secondary character is revealed late in the story to be operating under false pretenses don't really qualify, I would argue, since the viewer doesn't get to share in their deceit.

Does that clarify somewhat? I know it's a bit of a grey area, but this requirement would likely rule out most of the potential cases where inclusion in this collection would itself be a spoiler.

Yeah, that makes complete sense. I think The Talented Mr. Ripley is proper for inclusion. If I think of any more, I'll add them and share them here.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Freaky Friday and its ilk are good for inclusion here. They tend to be bad movies, but I think they fit. (Freaky Friday, The Hot Chick, and The Change Up qualify.)

The Parent Trap is another example.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

There are a lot of movies with people going undercover to varying degrees. I think those should be included by your definition, but maybe not. Donny Brasco and The Departed come to mind?

td888
3958 Ratings

Post by td888 »

nauru wrote:Coming to America... that's an interesting one, I don't remember the film well enough to remember who he was impersonating though. I thought he was still royalty in New York, and brought all his gold and treasure, which got stolen so he eventually became indistinguishable from a regular person. (?)

Actually he's a rich prince who wants a wife who wants him not for his money. So he goes to America and pretends to be a poor guy living in some ghetto working some whack job in a McDonald s rip-off joint.