Bug Fixes - March 11

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Bug Fixes - March 11

Post by mpowell »

We're excited to announce our final batch of bug fixes, related specifically to the launch of the full-width version of Criticker. At this point, we believe that all the errors are fixed -- with the notable exception of viewing your own review on the Title Information page. We want to spend a little more time with this one, but don't worry, a fix is coming up soon.

If we did miss a bug that you submitted, please accept our apologies! The error reports were coming in hot and heavy over the past week, and it's entirely likely that some escaped our notice. Just let us know, and we'll make sure to take a look as soon as we can!

Here's the latest bug fixes that have just been published. Thanks again to all of you for your patience, while we got these issues handled!

Bug Fixes

1. Games: Platform update doesn't scroll
The list of platforms in the Update Information modal for games, was not scrolling, make it impossible to see the full list or submit your changes.

2. Cannot search on collections
Our site-wide search functionality broke when you tried to narrow results on Collections.

3. Blocked users still showing up
Re-opened by Ramy and movieboy

4. AKA field is missing
First reported by BadCosmonaut

5. Problem loading information on Title Database
This was when you clicked the little "+" button -- nothing was happening.

6. Problem Loading Preview
Attempts to look at a title that hasn't yet been approved were failing.

7. Uploading images onto films with no cover art doesn't work
First reported by Skavau

8. Newly added titles wrap weirdly to next line
Happening on the Title Database, with new titles or titles awaiting approval

9. Posters on Kumpel Page inconsistent
First reported by Ramy

10. Wrong user info in forum
First reported by Ramy
This was only affecting a small number of users, but we believe it's now fixed.

11. Ignore/Remember missing from some title lists
First reported by brell

12. Invalid TCIs
First reported by LRibeiro
This one is in the process of being fixed -- it affected quite a few users, and we're currently regenerating all their TCIs, starting with those who've most recently rated a movie. This takes awhile, so if things are still looking weird for you, please give it a day. If things are still not better then, please reach out to us via support@criticker.com so that we can check on the progress!

Thanks again everyone for all your help in identifying the bugs, and apologies for having introduced so many. We've learned some lessons, for sure, and plan on making sure things go more smoothly next time!

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Re: Bug Fixes - March 11

Post by BadCosmonaut »

mpowell wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:22 am
If we did miss a bug that you submitted, please accept our apologies! The error reports were coming in hot and heavy over the past week, and it's entirely likely that some escaped our notice. Just let us know, and we'll make sure to take a look as soon as we can!
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it's intentional, or if it's not even happening and that I'm just imagining it, but images on the site seem noticably more low res and/or compressed recently. I made a post about it here, but I don't think anyone else ever confirmed that they thought it looked bad. Check out the poster for Midway as an example. It looks so blurry/blocky/low res. It looks awful. Posters didn't always used to look like that, did they? They were never super high res, but I didn't think they were this bad.

Skavau
153 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

Sorting items by date added in lists when editing it doesn't work.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:48 am
mpowell wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:22 am
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it's intentional, or if it's not even happening and that I'm just imagining it, but images on the site seem noticably more low res and/or compressed recently. I made a post about it here, but I don't think anyone else ever confirmed that they thought it looked bad. Check out the poster for Midway as an example. It looks so blurry/blocky/low res. It looks awful. Posters didn't always used to look like that, did they? They were never super high res, but I didn't think they were this bad.
Many images are not as high-res as they were before, and this is because we're moving to a larger format -- in the past, our maximum image size was 180px, which might have been sufficient in 2010, but no longer is.

When there is not a newer image available, we increase the size slightly on the existing images. This generally works pretty well, although it's not ideal. However, you did point out a spot where they seem to be much more grainy than they should be, and I think this is a coding mistake. We're reviewing that now.

We're working in the background to update images across the board, but this might take some time. Users can also submit larger posters, if they want to help!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Skavau wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:43 am
Sorting items by date added in lists when editing it doesn't work.
Thanks for letting us know about this! We've added it to our list of bugs.