The most popular film?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
joseywales
4142 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The most popular film?

Post by joseywales »

Howard the Duck.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

mandarkzilla wrote:i'd have to go with The Godfather. everyone, EVERYONE has seen that film.

Not me. :(

kyvetti
3289 Ratings

Post by kyvetti »

I haven't seen Godfather either. Or Shawshank Redemption. Well, I haven't sat through Gone with the Wind either...
I wouldn't put that much weight on the amount of either IMDb or Criticker ratings as Internet rating sites attract quite specific demographic.

Wizard of Oz is a good call and a definite contender.

I'd also factor in recognition; even though I haven't seen Gone with the Wind I know more or less what happens in it, how it looks like, know several lines of the film etc. because imagery of that film has had such an influence to our culture. Which IMO is part of "popularity".

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

chalk one up for star wars... actually i'm way more familiar with empire strikes back and return of the jedi. i guess if you count the whole saga, star wars is by far the most popular

Ranald
257 Ratings

Post by Ranald »

mandarkzilla wrote:i'd have to go with The Godfather. everyone, EVERYONE has seen that film. kids see it because their parents go nuts over it and that cycle will continue forever.

I first saw it only a couple a months ago, and didn't think it was anything special.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Even if you haven't seen The Godfather, you still know what it is and probably who is in it. I think that is the same for most people and that is why I would argue it is the most popular film. This same logic can be applied to Wizard of Oz and countless other films though.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Ranald wrote:
mandarkzilla wrote:i'd have to go with The Godfather. everyone, EVERYONE has seen that film. kids see it because their parents go nuts over it and that cycle will continue forever.

I first saw it only a couple a months ago, and didn't think it was anything special.

Godfather II is much better than One.

Vertiggo
2021 Ratings

Post by Vertiggo »

There's a lot of movies that can enter the list of most popular movies ever and didn't have a mention in the opinions above: The worst about it is that most of time I don't like that 'popular movies':
-Jurassic Park
-E T
-Titanic
-Top Gun
-Jaws
-Disney Classics
-The exorcist
-etc
but if I had to choose one , I'd rather The Godfather, but even so, I guess Star Wars would win for it's reaching of the real meaning of popularity... everyone knows Darth Vader's image, even if never saw the movie... that's why this is popular... About Gone with the wind and wizard of oz , oh come on... you can ask people in the streets ...
The population with a large cultural level know films like that, but we're talking about popularity and not the cinema addicts tastes ... Following the Pickpocket's point of view( that's a good one) I would say that Top Gun- Cruise , Connery- 007, Schwarzenegger- Terminator are hard to beat... well now I remembered Superman, anyway this is uncertain and very difficult...

runforrest
180 Ratings

Post by runforrest »

The Godfather
The Matrix
Star Wars
Citizen Kane
The Dark Knight
Forrest Gump
Jaws
Pulp Fiction

Weird thing is I've only seen two of those.

Jeb
2387 Ratings

Post by Jeb »

Star Wars
The Godfather

These two are arguably the best choices.