Most overrated and underrated movies of all time

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5337 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Most overrated and underrated movies of all time

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djross
5337 Ratings

Re: Most overrated and underrated movies of all time

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Is there an easy way to search by Average Tier, or do you have to look at the page for each film?

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Interesting.
My most underrated:
The Sheltering Sky (my score: 88; average tier 5.43)
runners up:
Eyes Wide Shut (my score: 87; average tier 5.84)
Amreeka (my score: 89; average tier 5.92)
Where the Wild Things Are (my score: 88; average tier 6.23)

My most overrated:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's next (my score: 25; average tier 8.32)
runners up:
American Beauty (my score: 30; average tier 7.37)
Forrest Gump (my score: 26; average tier 7.3)
Gladiator (my score: 31; average tier 6.9)

I knew OFOTCN would be my most overrated, and in truth my rating is probably a little low; but I think a lot of people feel the same as I do about the runners up... I think I subconsciously penalize films I feel are overrated.

Dorkovsky
42502 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

FitFortDanga wrote:Is there an easy way to search by Average Tier, or do you have to look at the page for each film?

I don't think there is yet, but there is this guy; http://www.criticker.com/profile/avgcrtckr

Here's my short list

Overrated (8 tier difference)
Generation Kill
Umut
A Brighter Summer Day
Bill Hicks Relentless

Underrated (7 tier difference)
The Ladykillers (Coens)
Very Bad Things
Shoot Em Up
Solaris (Soderbergh)
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

e: I just realized how seriously messed up my tiers are. Most people (including myself, once) complain about not having watched enough bad movies to even out their tiers, but mine is going the opposite way as well, with only the completely mediocre films falling where they should.
Last edited by Dorkovsky on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spunkie
5483 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Over

Dolce vita, La
Deer Hunter, The
Once Upon a Time in America
Night of the Hunter, The
Repulsion
Andrei Rublev

Under

Starship Troopers
The Hulk (Lee)

Mentaculus
3438 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

kyle.loomis wrote:
FitFortDanga wrote:Is there an easy way to search by Average Tier, or do you have to look at the page for each film?

I don't think there is yet, but there is this guy; http://www.criticker.com/profile/avgcrtckr

Yeah I can't find it either. But based off This Guy, I only have 4 that are in complete disagreement:

Overrated:
Life is Beautiful
American Beauty

Underrated:
Speed Racer
Mystery Men

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Underrated: I feel lots of comedies are underrated and are simply passed over as juvenile, crass, or just plain stupid. And while many comedies are, truly understanding and being able to successfully combine word play, jokes, physical comedy, and wit into a movie is something that is much more difficult than I think people give it credit for.

I've noticed lots of people here bash Mel Brooks, but the man takes comedy very seriously and is a real master of working the different aspects together. Three Amigos I have tier 9 average tier 4.8. That makes me sad.

Tommy Boy is 5.4 but Chris Farley deserves much more for how perfectly he mastered physical comedy.

Tropic Thunder average tier 5.14, but reading reviews its pretty clear that bias against Stiller, Black, and comedy in general brings it down quite a bit.

Overrated:
A Clockwork Orange (felt it was a pretty hollow film and not as horrific as I was told it would be),

A Curious Case of Benjamin Button. While the average tier is only 6.05 it should be way lower because while it was made and acted well nothing could save it from one of the most boring and overdrawn scripts possibly ever.

Both Grizzly Man and Into the Wild are way overrated. Being from Alaska these guys aren't know as philosophers, they are known as dumb. Dumb is the wrong word, it's more like really fucking stupid. Also Michael Moore films, manipulative in a bad way.

Rambo 4 was not very good either. I think people were distracted by the gore, which I found kinda sad and pointless. Gore can add to a film, but gore for the sake of gore is a waste of my time, I can see dead bodies just for the sake of it on the internet.

March of the Penguins is pretty worthless. Can see better animal documentaries on tv.

djross
5337 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imdb
56881 Ratings

Post by imdb »

Interestingly, using only avgcrtckr's rankings, I have only 3 films with a 6 or more gap between them. They are, in no particular order and all underrated:

The Butterfly Effect
Star Wars Episode III: RotS