Favorite Action Comedies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Favorite Action Comedies

Post by ShogunRua »

I love the genre, and feel that I haven't been watching enough of it recently. To give some idea of my tastes, here are my favorites, according to my scores;

1. Johnny English (2003)
2-3. Crank: High Voltage (2009)
2-3. Shaolin Soccer (2001)
4. Drunken Master (1978)
5-6. Midnight Run (1988)
5-6. Snatch (2000)
7. Wasabi (2001)
8. Hitman (1998)
9. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)
10. Mr. Vampire (1985)
11. Ghostbusters (1984)
12-13. Planet Terror (2007)
12-13. Team America: World Police (2004)

However, I hate topics that are nothing but random lists, with zero explanation. So I will post a review I wrote of an action comedy I doubt many are familiar with, which appears on my list above;

Mr. Vampire (1985)-

A truly unique kung-fu comedy. Its presentation of the occult is infused with lots of Chinese mythology; there are hopping vampires warded off with written charms, a pale female beauty whose head flies off her body and attacks, and other oddities. The protagonists battle these monsters with the power of kung-fu, and it's hilarious and awesome. But even ignoring the fights, this is a damn funny film; the student mistakenly believing the young lady is a whore is absolute comedy gold. Great movie.

Focus-

Write a review of a really good action comedy. Can be either popular or more obscure, although the latter is preferable, since it exposes more people to new material.

MmzHrrdb

Re: Favorite Action Comedies

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I noted you left Crank off your list is that due to it not officially listing comedy among it's genre's? Because it is as much a comedy action flick as Crank : High Voltage and it's far superior as well...

So why not fix it and amend it by adding comedy to its genre's on Criticker?

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Not my favorite action comedy, but probably top 10. Just under 1000 rankings on criticker, so not really obscure, but not super popular either, so I would suggest checking it out if you haven't.

Black Dynamite(2009)

A parody of the 70's blaxploitation film Dolemite, Black Dynamite delivers on multiple levels. With comedy ranging from nuanced script jokes based on an understanding and love for the genre of blaxploitation to silly juvenile dick jokes, Black Dynamite goes for it all. The real key for me was intentional things they did to parody the poor production quality of the genre, my favorite being a boom mic creeping into the frame as Michael Jai White delivers a monologue. Beyond that, the movie is just lots of fun with a good pace so it never gets dull. All the music in the film is original pieces made for this film. And Michael Jai White has lots of great lines. It's not a perfect film, but it was impossible for me not to fall in love with. And I would strongly suggest checking out the special features on this film because there are many little parody moments that are easy to miss.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Naughty wrote:I noted you left Crank off your list is that due to it not officially listing comedy among it's genre's? Because it is as much a comedy action flick as Crank : High Voltage and it's far superior as well...

Crank is not on my list because it's not particularly good. It was a decent, albeit forgettable action picture. Nothing special.

The sequel, however, is extraordinary, and actually more of a "comedy with action" than an "action comedy".

Anyways, do you have anything to contribute to the focus of the topic?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Troll Hunter (2010)

A Norwegian mockumentary / Found Footage exposing the existence of trolls and the massive cover up by the Norwegian government to keep this knowledge secret! Nearly peed my pants laughing when the troll hunter started [spoiler]playing the song "What a friend we have in Jesus" to piss off the troll and lead it away from the group! You see trolls love to munch on Christians lol In fact we learn they can tell if you're Christian by your smell...[/spoiler] It's clever, riddled with some pretty detailed troll lore and it's all done dramatically but with tongue in cheek. Truly a fun ride for those willing to hop in leaving reality behind!

JooJoo
6160 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

A tough sub-genre to really put a finger on. So many action flicks provide a lot of laughs but I wouldn't say there's enough of a mix to qualify (Die Hard). Goodfellas is probably the funniest, bloodiest film but I wouldn't say there's enough of the good stuff to call it action.

The most immediate thing that comes to mind is Shaw Bros productions:
Heroes of the East & My Young Auntie are the best I've come across of this kind.

Lone Wolf and Cub series is a given.

Pretty much every Godzilla flick from '64-'73 & a few of the Millennium series. Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster is the stand-out but you can probably take your pick. Stay away from the Mechagodzilla one's.

Fantasy Mission Force for the random, gonzo style.

I debated this, but I think The General (1926) belongs to be included in this category based on the constant physicality its comedy takes on, and especially its conclusion.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Fight Club
Full Metal Jacket

Of these examples from my tier 1, only the first comes close to what most people think of as action.....or comedy. All have an aspect of dark comedy or satire which is where my true appreciation lies.

O Brother!: To begin with, what could not be funny/satiric about three Mississippi hayseeds escaping from a chain gang using a plot (loosely) based on Homer's epic highbrow classic, The Odyssey? (One of the best references is the Lotus Eaters being baptized). It relies not only on humerus dialogue throughout, but the humor carries over into the performances of a fantastic bluegrass score with most numbers delivered in full, as the Coens are rightly want to do. It's gotta be my favorite Charles Durning's role, even though it wasn't nominated for anything. Greek myth is intertwined with Delta blues myths associated with the iconic Highway 61. For an excellent background in the lore, check out the movie Crossroads (1987).

The movie is loaded with interesting tidbits, like Tommy Johnson was a real blues man who is the first one known to make the Faustian claim to have sold his soul to the Devil. His unrelated and much more famous contemporary Robert Johnson, wrote his most famous song about doing just that, Crossroads Blues--a crossroads being where the three stopped to pick him up.

Here are most of the references to Homer's Odyssey listed on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

hot fuzz appears at the top of my list and it's far superior to shaun of the dead.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

JooJoo wrote:

Why is that? I consider them among the greatest films ever, and easily my favorite series, but what part struck you as comedy? It's a serious, tragic tale centered around the concept of bushido. There are many harrowing, fucked-up moments in the manga and movies alike, with very little levity.

JooJoo
6160 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

ShogunRua wrote:
JooJoo wrote:

Why is that? I consider them among the greatest films ever, and easily my favorite series, but what part struck you as comedy? It's a serious, tragic tale centered around the concept of bushido. There are many harrowing, fucked-up moments in the manga and movies alike, with very little levity.

I suppose it's cause the first that comes to my mind is those ridiculous baby cart tricks. Just about every action moment had either an element of comedic timing or those ridiculous mechanics.

I didn't really think that far into it, but you're right, it is fairly serious material outside of the action.