Turkish Movies: Why So Many

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ultrahobo
731 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Turkish Movies: Why So Many

Post by ultrahobo »

What I don't get about it is what is the point of checking Criticker if you're not a member. It wont give you any recommendation or suggested PSI. It also doesn't have any extra info than Imdb has. Tell me if I'm missing a point here but I'm quiet confused about it :?

amazedemon
3545 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

ultrahobo wrote:What I don't get about it is what is the point of checking Criticker if you're not a member. It wont give you any recommendation or suggested PSI. It also doesn't have any extra info than Imdb has. Tell me if I'm missing a point here but I'm quiet confused about it :?

First, how do we know they're not members. And second, it is possible that a lot of people are using VPNs through Russia.

Spunkie
5498 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Haha I was gonna write a bit, then noticed Paulo's quote from 7 years ago. Criticker never reached saturation it deserves which would distribute it's demographic more evenly around the world. So I bet there is still disproportionate amount of Turkish watchers here. I don't know if it's drawing new traffic besides remnants of the forum I mentioned.

On another note while general public compatible Turkish movies isn't very high imo, the number of movies produced are quite high. There is the Yeşilçam period which lasted through 60ies to mid 80ies which came crashing down. The number of remnants from this era is huge, you can safely consider almost all of them local minded bollywood variety of productions. My generation (I was born in 79) grew up with a single channel tv since 88 if I recall correctly. So we were exposed to same things over and over, mostly comedy. When private channels launched they kept on capitalising from the nostalgia factor while also bringing recent hollywood and world cinema to viewership. The effect you see on Turkish people's lists are imo a result of this nostalgia. I just checked my own list, gotta admit I suffer from the same factor even to a lesser degree.

Second half of nineties started a shake which gave birth an industry that's copying hollywood mindset through the millenia. There is also likes of Ceylan spawned during this era that are focused on festivals due to at least being a central industry allowing them to work. Don't fret to check out these, you might be surprised.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

TANGENT

Post by paulofilmo »

I watched your SKNAIL - Snail Charmers vid yesterday. Shit be tight. Thanks for doing.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Excuse my bumping such an old thread but I suspect the Turkish users are real -one of those happy Criticker quirks- and the Russian ones only Referer spam, I've pretty much only seen this come from Russia. Does no harm other than ballsing up the analytics, there are lists to help block it though.

90sCoffee
2248 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

It's not exactly a third world country lol they make movies :lol:

My problem with films from Asia (+ Turkey if you wanna count it as European) are that they're overly tragic/depressing. Maybe not all of them but the highly rated ones are depressing movies. I like French cinema though, a lot of fun/whimsical or lighter stuff in the classics and not just tales of tragedy.