"theyshoot07", "theyshoot08"

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
epiphany
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"theyshoot07", "theyshoot08"

Post by epiphany »

One feature that I have been yearning for for a long time is the polite removal of the "theyshot07" and "theyshoot08" accounts. Without doubt, the person who runs these accounts has worked hard to add all 1000 films in. However, this accounts only serve to the disbenefit other users. I adore Criticker for its strikingly accurate PSIs and find myself frustrated when I turn to Criticker to find out which work of [obscure director] I should visit first.

Case in point:

Bienvenido Mister Marshall (1953)
Directed by Luis García Berlanga
PSI: 65

A friend recommended this film to me if I wanted to get into Berlanga. I thought I would give it a miss because of its low psi. When I entered the page to read some reviews, I was met with this unsightly sight:

1.2217 experimental 80 T6
1.3581 filmaffinity 82 T10
1.4474 theyshoot07 51 T3

The film would have registered as a low 80 / high 70 for me if it were calculated as Tier 8. While I do understand that many uses, experimental probably included, have troubles with their tiers due to watching too many good films. The "theyshoot07" and "theyshoot08" accounts extreme examples of such cases.

Furthermore, the They Shoot Pictures Top 1000 list is filled with films from directors rather obscure on Criticker, thus these two accounts greatly affect PSIs generated.

While some may see this as a minor issue and I understand the amount of time put into it was rather great, but they serve little benefit now. I apologise to the user who has created these accounts. I respect you for your commitment into setting these up.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Re: "theyshoot07", "theyshoot08"

Post by Luna6ix »

actually, rating too many good movies is a problem that users who rate low numbers of movies have as well. for instance if you've seen 2000 movies over your life time--which is not a stretch, and you discover this site and rate about 300 before forgetting about this site, like a lot of people do, those 300 are probably going to largely consist of the most memorable movies you've seen, discluding all average movies for great and terrible movies. i've seen it time and again when my friends first enter the site, they decide they want to rate the favorites first.

Dorkovsky
42457 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

I like them. I like being easily to see the change between the two years without having to run to the website. Keep it up TSPDT guy :D

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

it's been mentioned before, they'd work way better as collections

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We do have a feature planned which will allow you to ignore users, much in the same way you can now mark them as Kumpels. This will remove them from your PSI contribution, but you'd still be able to browse their film list should you choose. I think this will be the best way to handle accounts like "theyshoot07" (which definitely served a useful purpose before Collections were introduced).

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

I actually like them more than their collection incarnation because they reveal the order as TSPDT intended. It's easier to discover more iconic or influential films due to their higher placement via scores.

theyshoot08
1000 Ratings

Post by theyshoot08 »

mpowell wrote:We do have a feature planned which will allow you to ignore users, much in the same way you can now mark them as Kumpels. This will remove them from your PSI contribution, but you'd still be able to browse their film list should you choose. I think this will be the best way to handle accounts like "theyshoot07" (which definitely served a useful purpose before Collections were introduced).

I think this is the best solution, it might even be useful to have these accounts which are not regular users be put on ignore automatically. I'd be unhappy if the account were deleted though, as it does have some other uses, most importantly as theficionado says to have films in intended order. It also allows users to quickly see how many of the films they've seen and view them in relation to the list.

I can also do a couple of cool things like tell you 125 users have seen at least 300 of these films and the top 10 are:
Darbicus
913 films in common
welike
841 films in common
kangadoodoo
817 films in common
experimental
810 films in common
RNG
782 films in common
flowing
775 films in common
purity
751 films in common
FitFortDanga
748 films in common
coltrane
733 films in common
PeaceAnarchy
715 films in common

epiphany
0 Ratings

Post by epiphany »

It also allows users to quickly see how many of the films they've seen and view them in relation to the list.

Ah, I apologise. I never thought of using it that way before. "Ignore" seems like the best solution, although we're still waiting for the sort collection in specific order feature.