Antonio Gaudí
Antonio-Gaudi

Antonio Gaudí

1984
Documentary
Hiroshi Teshigahara's camera takes us over, under, around, and into buildings and a park designed by Antonio Gaudí (1852 - 1926), Catalan architect, ceramist, and sculptor... (imdb)
Amazon VideoCriterion Channel

Teshigahara lets Gaudi's work speak for itself. There are only a few scraps of narration during the Sagrada Familia portion, providing just the barest background information. And there are a few street scenes to establish a sense of location. Beyond that, the camera simply explores the structures, very gracefully picking out details. Takemitsu's lovely score is an appropriate blend of the traditional and the otherworldly. A celebration of Gaudi's magnificent art.
The buildings and everything look great, and strange, and all that good stuff. The imagery is nice to admire, so if architecture is your bag I guess this delivers. I didn't find it gripping, but as long as you're not expecting high drama and are prepared for what amounts to a tour through an art gallery you should be all right.
Gaudi's designs are beautiful, and they are treated as labyrinths by Teshigahara's camera. Toru Takemitsu's wonderful score accentuates the surreal visuals. It's a very impressive and respectable documentary, but it wasn't quite enough to engage me for feature length. I'd recommend it to anyone with a particular interest in architecture, though.
Having seen 80%-90% places shown here I don't find it too fascinating, since it's not much more than a nicely shot walk through Gaudi buildings. Worth a look if you've never been to Barcelona and are not planning to go there.
Antonio Gaudi is a beautiful, meditative documentary in which the architecture speaks for itself, and the life that informs it, trembling at its core.

Genre: Documentary