Ranking the Bond films

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
CMonster
1444 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Ranking the Bond films

Post by CMonster »

I had never heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect before. That is quite fascinating to read about. What is not fascinating is the acting ability of Shia LeBoeuf. He is like an on screen abortion.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

CMonster wrote:I had never heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect before. That is quite fascinating to read about. What is not fascinating is the acting ability of Shia LeBoeuf. He is like an on screen abortion.

My sentiments exactly. Dunning-Kruger effect... wow I learned something on Criticker today lol

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

You're a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

I was only saying Bronson was good but not that great, LeBouf was somebody I pulled out of the middle of the pile. I was holding up Renner as being near the pinnacle, but your proclivity for cheap shots led you to ignore him, probably because you haven't seen any of his movies, especially BL.

As for being a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, beyond the fact that it's nothing more than psychobabble for stupid, I agree, I am a fine example. According to the Wiki article you posted, I'm a competent individual who falsely assumes that others have an equivalent understanding.

How can I put a better exclamation point to that than by re-posting this head shot of one of your favorites. All it's lacking is the crosshairs.

We actually agreed on a lot before the bruhaha about subtitles and then the definition of feminine svelte. Now your every response to my posts is negative and beyond. I don't know, I'll look up the definitions of petty and vindictive and get back to you.

Oh yeah, then there was my immaturity because I use smileys.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:

I was only saying Bronson was good but not that great, LeBouf was somebody I pulled out of the middle of the pile. I was holding up Renner as being near the pinnacle, but your proclivity for cheap shots led you to ignore him, probably because you haven't seen any of his movies, especially BL.

Truly, your powers of perception are amazing. Yes, I have never seen a single movie featuring Renner, despite listing him as one of my favorite actors in my profile and repeatedly gushing about his performances on the forum. Good job.

And yeah, me talking about your praise of LeBouf was a cheap shot when you directly compared him to Bronson as a superior action star. Again, what more needs to be said?

Stewball wrote:As for being a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, beyond the fact that it's nothing more than psychobabble for stupid, I agree, I am a fine example. According to the Wiki article you posted, I'm a competent individual who falsely assumes that others have an equivalent understanding.

No, the Dunning-Kruger effect states that highly incompetent people tend to overrate their abilities the most, and see themselves as being especially insightful. Which your posts in this topic are a fine illustration of.

Competent people actually tend to be far more humble about their abilities.

Competent people also understood the contents of that Wikipedia link.

Stewball wrote:How can I put a better exclamation point to that than by re-posting this head shot of one of your favorites. All it's lacking is the crosshairs.

JPG images are the last refuge of the foolish and unfunny. Not sure what it's supposed to show, either; Rowan Atkinson is widely considered a comic master for his work on "Mr. Bean", "Black Adder", and his stand-up specials.

Stewball wrote:We actually agreed on a lot before the bruhaha about subtitles and then the definition of feminine svelte. Now your every response to my posts is negative and beyond. I don't know, I'll look up the definitions of petty and vindictive and get back to you.

I like you on a personal level Stewball. Honestly. But I will take anyone, TheDenizen included, to task for writing blithering stupidity. And unfortunately, you have written an awful lot of it recently, from your claim that Anne Hathaway was disgustingly fat at 5' 7" and 150 pounds to your belief that anyone who enjoys exploitation films is a mentally disturbed, potential criminal.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:

JooJoo
6229 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

Back on the subject of Bond, I'd like to bring my thoughts on Skyfall here.

my review:
"Am I the only one seeing Dark Knight parallels? Terrorist / 9/11 angle, a psychotic villain disfigured through chemical mishap, identity crisis of protagonist on which he has to question his value and evokes past trauma of childhood (not done nearly as well, though). An unusual direction for the Bond series to go but not bad. Javier Bardem was very good."

Am I looking too much into this cause I couldn't get the link out of my head. Probably cause it was such an oddly personal take on a Bond story. Seemed so weird to lose the mysterious organization questing for world dominance in favor of a singular villain on a vengeance kick.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:No, the Dunning-Kruger effect states that highly incompetent people tend to overrate their abilities the most, and see themselves as being especially insightful. Which your posts in this topic are a fine illustration of.

Competent people actually tend to be far more humble about their abilities.

Competent people also understood the contents of that Wikipedia link.

You sayin' you're being humble, or that my quote from the Wiki article isn't accurate?

I'll admit that my style comes across as arrogant to some, but what I'm actually doing is challenging--putting out my viewpoint and thereby inviting criticism. But often all I get are one or more examples of fallacious arguments, as in this case an appeal to false authority, ad hominem attacks, and the argument by prestigious jargon (i.e. psychobablle).

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Stewball wrote: argue argue argue
ShogunRua wrote: argue argue argue
JooJoo wrote:Back on the subject of Bond
Stewball wrote: argue argue argue

And the rest of criticker being portrayed by Eva Green:

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Well I just watched Skyfall a few days ago, which means I've seen em all. I think it's tied with Moonraker for top spot in my opinion. Loved the action scenes, especially the opening scene and the skyscraper. Perfect balance between modern visuals and classic cheese.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:Well I just watched Skyfall a few days ago, which means I've seen em all. I think it's tied with Moonraker for top spot in my opinion. Loved the action scenes, especially the opening scene and the skyscraper. Perfect balance between modern visuals and classic cheese.

Did it have a sense of humor, or was it dead serious?