TCM in the month of June

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Jellysauce
1125 Ratings
Your TCI: na

TCM in the month of June

Post by Jellysauce »

Well every month TCM will usually have a theme to go with the month and this June the theme will be "Great Directors". its looking to be a great month for the channel. Some of the directors they will be highlighting will be Frank Capra, Ingmar Bergman, William Wyler, Michael Curtiz, Akira Kurosawa, Woody Allen, Elia Kazan, Orson Welles, François Truffaut, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Federico Fellini, and Alfred Hitchcock among others.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=06/01/2009&timezone=EST&cid=N

^ click that to see the full schedule

MmzHrrdb

Re: TCM in the month of June

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I love TCM.

iceblox
3620 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

-BigEvil- wrote:I love TCM.

+1

Sadly, I don't get to see it often enough. :(

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I must disagree. I think that the bulk of acting sucked until the 60's-70's--the turning point being flagged by the child performance by Ron Howard in The Music Man that said that they were gonna take acting more seriously (even though they still had that little regurgitant on legs playing Amaryllis). My bottom of the pile from back then is Jimmy Stewart and Olivia de Havilland.

Jellysauce
1125 Ratings

Post by Jellysauce »

Stewball wrote:I must disagree. I think that the bulk of acting sucked until the 60's-70's--the turning point being flagged by the child performance by Ron Howard in The Music Man that said that they were gonna take acting more seriously (even though they still had that little regurgitant on legs playing Amaryllis). My bottom of the pile from back then is Jimmy Stewart and Olivia de Havilland.

well a lot of the movies being shown this next month are going to be movies from the 60s and 70s and in some cases even go up to the late 90s. but of course there will be a lot of older movies also.

JooJoo
6023 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

Stewball wrote:I must disagree. I think that the bulk of acting sucked until the 60's-70's--the turning point being flagged by the child performance by Ron Howard in The Music Man that said that they were gonna take acting more seriously (even though they still had that little regurgitant on legs playing Amaryllis). My bottom of the pile from back then is Jimmy Stewart and Olivia de Havilland.

I don't know what this post is doing in this thread.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

i agree that there were a lot of bad actors in the 30's and 40's, but Jimmy Stewart, are you serious? regardless i like to keep my mind open to everything, and since i was born in the 80's i pretty much missed out on most of the movies made so i try to make up for lost time with TCM it is by far my most watched channel.

anyway so im gonna look through the schedule and name a few i'll undoubtedly record with my moxi box and watch later.

ice station zebra
the seventh seal
persona
hour of the wolf
the passion of anna
four's a crowd
dodge city
hangmen also die
human desire
clash by night
fury
western union
the blue gardenia
the big heat
on the town
royal wedding
viva las vegas
the treasure of sierra madre
the african queen
kagemusha
red beard
broadway danny rose
the purple rose of cairo
interiors
take the money and run
the private life of sherlock holmes
the spirit of st. louis
avanti!
on the waterfront
the lady from shanghai
the trial
the 400 blows
mean streets
lolita
la strada
juliet of the spirits
roma
the bridge on the river kwai
marnie
adam's rib
the hill
fail safe
the great ziegfeld

needless to say i'm going to have trim down my list a bit, but i'm used to that i almost always bite off more than i can chew when it comes to planning to watch movies. so what do you guys want to watch out of that movie?

Dorkovsky
42473 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

I laughed. Bravo.

edit: holy crap i just checked out your ratings and you weren't kidding. Ron Howard lol
Last edited by Dorkovsky on Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

So let me see if I understand - this post complains about bad acting. Then goes on to list Jimmy Stewart? Oh, wait, I think I know what's going on. THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD.

What the hell man. What. The. Hell. Jimmy Stewart is one of the best actors of the entire 20th century.