Screw indie/artsy director threads, let's talk Scott

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Screw indie/artsy director threads, let's talk Scott

Post by cagedwisdom »

Watched Gladiator yesterday, thought I'd mention it.. Rated it 73, I thought it was quite fine. But in all seriousness, the instant both Phoenix and Harris' characters had been introduced I knew EXACTLY how the plot would unfold, and I knew nothing about it beforehand. Except, at that point, I didn't predict that Phoenix' character had a half disturbing half arousing crush on his sister, but at the beginning of the first scene with those two alone I could predict that plot point as well. It was a bit disappointing, although I'm glad [spoiler]he dies at the end[/spoiler]. Didn't really see that one coming either before about 30 minutes before it was over, but then what do you know, it goes and makes it blatantly obvious already then. Ah well, still a very entertaining film, Scott did a good job with it and Phoenix was incredible.

doctor7
1979 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

Rufflesack wrote:Watched Gladiator yesterday, thought I'd mention it.. Rated it 73, I thought it was quite fine. But in all seriousness, the instant both Phoenix and Harris' characters had been introduced I knew EXACTLY how the plot would unfold, and I knew nothing about it beforehand. Except, at that point, I didn't predict that Phoenix' character had a half disturbing half arousing crush on his sister, but at the beginning of the first scene with those two alone I could predict that plot point as well. It was a bit disappointing, although I'm glad [spoiler]he dies at the end[/spoiler]. Didn't really see that one coming either before about 30 minutes before it was over, but then what do you know, it goes and makes it blatantly obvious already then. Ah well, still a very entertaining film, Scott did a good job with it and Phoenix was incredible.

Too bad Phoenix is being bananas right now, he's such a good actor. I keep hoping is this massive PUNK'D thing or something.

caocao
2723 Ratings

Post by caocao »

I re watched Blade Runner recently and it went from a movie that I found really disapointing (and confusing) as a young lad to something else entirely. I'll simply echo what everyone else has said about Scott's gift for visual style and somewhat weak exposition. I think something like Blade Runner worked because there wasn't much exposition. It's aged very well.

He really is all over the map though. Hated a few movies (The Good Life, Thelma and Louise) and really enjoyed several predictable choices (Gladiator, Alien, Blade Runner.)

I didn't like Kingdom of Heaven at all but the director's cut intrigues me.

Don't forget about Scott's iconic 1984 Mac commercial. Still considered amongst the greatest commercials by most people in marketing.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

lol i forgot he made Legend

Jellysauce
1132 Ratings

Post by Jellysauce »

i have only seen 3 of the dudes films and i have liked what i have seen so far.

how id rank the films i have seen:

1.matchstick men
2.gladiator
3.black hawk down.

matchstick men blew me away when i first saw it. apparently though im the only one who got blown. and obviously gladiator and black hawk down were really solid flicks also.

JohnGalt
655 Ratings

Post by JohnGalt »

Gladiator, Blade Runner and Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut, of course) are amongst my favorite movies of all time. When it comes to putting a vision of another world, be it past or future, on screen no one is better than Ridley Scott.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Jellysauce wrote: apparently though im the only one who got blown.

lol

Jellysauce
1132 Ratings

Post by Jellysauce »

Radicalohank wrote:
Jellysauce wrote: apparently though im the only one who got blown.

lol

lol. when i posted that originally i laughed at that line too.

Tripwyre
1866 Ratings

Post by Tripwyre »

NoSex wrote:
doctor7 wrote:It's got about 40 minutes of additional film.

making the movie longer makes it worse; it's unbearable as it is.

You'd think so, but it really does add so much to it. The theatrical cut is a decent film, nothing special, but the Director's Cut is just so much more engaging. Just another entry on the long list of things FOX fucked up.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

No One Wants to Play Sega with Harrison Ford

Post by paulofilmo »