Overrated/Underrated

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Mentaculus
3438 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Overrated/Underrated

Post by Mentaculus »

Underrated: Cannibal Holocaust - It's certainly not high art by any stretch, but as a straight horror movie, it's more terrifying than just about anything I can think of. The music makes you queasy and the depravity and violence onscreen is relentless. I know several jaded gorehounds who've been stunned into meek silence by CH, myself included.

I'm not so sure about that assumption. I certainly think it's High Art, and I know a few other people who feel the same. Ditto on the severely underwhelming LA Confidential.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

fair enough. I should've said it's not high art by most people's standards. :) I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Zozan wrote:
Well having not seen the followup movies, I am in no place to comment on them. The latter movies may put more sense into this one like you said may be but this movie alone failed to make me build any kind of smypaty for the so called “troubled kid antoine”. [spoiler]After all this is a kid who runs from home becouse of getting a bad grade at school, who is lying about mother death, stealing dad’s typewriter and returning it back.[/spoiler]Yea, kids are not famous for their logic but this feels like over the top idiocy to me hence I don’t care about the kid or the movie one bit.

Yet one day again, when I have some more time to kill, I may try to watch the latter movies and try to grasp your point of view.

This is probably the worst simplification of any movie I've seen in awhile. You obviously passed out through most of this film because your plot descriptions and thematic descriptions are laughable and totally false. The real question is: can a movie be overrated if the person watching it totally missed the point?

Zozan
1569 Ratings

Post by Zozan »

Overrated: Scenes from a Marriage
Has some great moments but simply, there is not enough material to carry the movie through its 170 minute span. Despite the fact that I like this type of movies where everything is based on acting and dialogue, I got bored somewhere close to the second hour.

Underrated: The Man from Earth
Another movie where everything is based on acting and dialogue. I am not going to claim that the acting was great but the script simply covers all the weak points and more. Btw I don't feel that this is underrated becouse of the PSI or the comments of people who has seen this movie but feels like the movie is widely unknown and deserves more attention.

Dunder74
1281 Ratings

Post by Dunder74 »

Overrated: The Dark Knight

God, nothing about this movie is rated appropriately.This movies drags on, Maggie's performance is dull, Zimmer's music sounds the exact same as every movie he's done, and it was over hyped because of Ledger's death.

Underrated: Dan in Real Life

I've never seen any acclaim for this film. It was very funny, clever, and Carell's performance is maybe his best of any film.

miss jesus
2427 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

I love this thread.

Hearty agreement on the overrating of The Sting, The Departed and The Dark Knight.

Also, L.A. Confidential is my favorite novel, so don't even get me started on that movie.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

For sure, both of Nolan's Batman films were decidedly average.

NEW PICKS
Overrated: ANY comedy starring Adam Sandler. Other than The Wedding Singer, which had just enough 80's nostalgia to be barely passable, every other Sandler comedy I've seen (about 6 or 7 of them) has been wretched. I tend to prefer dry, satirical comedy with a sharp wit, and Sandler's main area of expertise seems to be screeching like an annoying man child for 90 minutes at a time. Actually, same thing applies to pretty much every Will Ferrell movie, too. Or Chris Farley/David Spade. Utterly unwatchable, I cannot understand the appeal of any of these guys.

Underrated: The Highlander - yes, the sequels were dreadful, just ignore that they exist. The original film gets lumped in with the stupidity of the series as a whole or dismissed as action trash, but it's great. Clancy Brown is fucking sick as the immortal Kurrgan, chasing Connor through the centuries from medieval Scotland to the Gathering in modern day New York. Chuck in an entertaining if corny cameo from Sean Connery (as a Spaniard, lol) plenty of violent swordplay, and the effects laden finale when Connor experiences "the Quickening" (which is still cool looking) and you've got a great flick. Ah, if only they had stopped there.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Dunder74 wrote:Overrated: The Dark Knight
Zimmer's music sounds the exact same as every movie he's done,

I can't think of a single movie that it sounds like. Does it sound like The Thin Red Line, Frost/Nixon, or Driving Miss Daisy?

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Underrated: Any comedy starring Adam Sandler. The guy's a genius of voice and slapstick. I love this immature raging jew. Except for The Wedding Singer...eww, too much Drew Barrymore, sap, and nostalgia.

Overrated: Aguirre: The Wrath of God. Lots of jungle panning and aimless dialogue. Did this even have a script? Eh, I don't care.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

mmm. Drew Barrymore.

I guess there's a reason our TCI is 2.3484 :P