Famous Movies Better/Worse than Books They Were Adapted From

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
1638 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Famous Movies Better/Worse than Books They Were Adapted

Post by dardan »

It is far more methodologically interesting opinion than your subjective ignorance. Are you trying to monopolize the forum section, with a few of your likeminded idiots?

Damn, kitty has claws.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ehk2 wrote:you moron, don't you see that at the link the data of metacritic and goodreads are compared? It is far more methodologically interesting opinion than your subjective ignorance. Are you trying to monopolize the forum section, with a few of your likeminded idiots?

Comparing a site that ranks 1-5 and one that ranks 0-100 is quite pointless and provides some really inaccurate data. I wouldn't rely too heavily on that

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

ehk2 wrote:you moron, don't you see that at the link the data of metacritic and goodreads are compared? It is far more methodologically interesting opinion than your subjective ignorance. Are you trying to monopolize the forum section, with a few of your likeminded idiots?

It must be nice to have surveys and polls do all your thinking for you. Now, if only I could get enough people to vote in a poll telling ehk2 to break his fingers and throw away his computer/phone...

Alternatively, you can post your irrelevant, idiot lists in another topic. Just not the one I created, with a focus that stated no one cares.

ehk2
8515 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

you and your pure forum topic. you must be the owner of the site. you live a life on those pages.

pnh
658 Ratings

Post by pnh »

I cite "To the Left of the Father" as an example of a film that stood on pair with the book while not being an adaptation. Usually you would have a movie that adapts dialogue and tries to be as natural as possible, but the director for it not only have a dreamlike approach to filming but had to comply to the author's exigence of unadulterated excerpts. The film became an experience that, while obviously not as deep as the book, was, with its heavy prose and tone, able to mirror the lyrism of the source. Because of its attempt to keep literary language, it feels like a "filmed" rather than "adapted" book.
I understand the OP asked for (famous) superior cases, but I think this deserves a mention for its particularity.

Edit: Just remembered. "The White Devil" (1930) [Hadji-Murat] is, inversely, a case of underwhelming adaptation. By following the more palpable plot, it misses the disperse subjective exploration of the soldiers' motivations, a naive feeling of freedom from the part of these invading and truculent young men. This motivation is, in my interpretation, the center around which even HM's profile revolves. (Also, minus points for the protagonist receiving a coat of "hero" he didn't have.)
Neither are famous (exception to the second book), but stand nicely against each other.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

Pickpocket wrote:

Comparing a site that ranks 1-5 and one that ranks 0-100 is quite pointless and provides some really inaccurate data. I wouldn't rely too heavily on that

do you know what a "z-score" is, pickpocket?