My Best of 2015

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Pickpocket
3024 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: My Best of 2015

Post by Pickpocket »

Stewball wrote:Well now that you mention it, none of my top stuff was anticipated either, and has rarely been otherwise. But what does that say, certainly not that excellent movies aren't being made. It's all a matter of taste, some people have it, and a bunch more usually don't. :roll:

I've read this like 5 times and still have no idea what the hell you're saying. :lol:

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Pickpocket wrote:
Stewball wrote:Well now that you mention it, none of my top stuff was anticipated either, and has rarely been otherwise. But what does that say, certainly not that excellent movies aren't being made. It's all a matter of taste, some people have it, and a bunch more usually don't. :roll:

I've read this like 5 times and still have no idea what the hell you're saying. :lol:

TRANSLATION
Stewball wrote:Well now that you mention it, none of my top stuff was anticipated either,

The movies that Stew enjoyed the most this year were not the ones that the masses had buzzed in anticipation for.

Stewball wrote:and has rarely been otherwise.

In fact, that's the way it is most years for Stew.

Stewball wrote:But what does that say, certainly not that excellent movies aren't being made.

Just because the uber-hyped movies sucked, doesn't mean that weren't enough lesser seen movies to make it a great year.

Stewball wrote:It's all a matter of taste, some people have it, and a bunch more usually don't. :roll:

Mad Max Fury Road is overrated.

I had to break it up in pieces, but I'm pretty sure I got it. Happy New Year everyone.

Suture Self
2716 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I still haven't seen anywhere near enough 2015 movies to make a best of list yet. That'll probably take a few more months.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Bojangles wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:

TRANSLATION
Stewball wrote:Well now that you mention it, none of my top stuff was anticipated either,

The movies that Stew enjoyed the most this year were not the ones that the masses had buzzed in anticipation for.

Stewball wrote:and has rarely been otherwise.

In fact, that's the way it is most years for Stew.

Stewball wrote:But what does that say, certainly not that excellent movies aren't being made.

Just because the uber-hyped movies sucked, doesn't mean that weren't enough lesser seen movies to make it a great year.

Stewball wrote:It's all a matter of taste, some people have it, and a bunch more usually don't. :roll:

Mad Max Fury Road is overrated.

I had to break it up in pieces, but I'm pretty sure I got it. Happy New Year everyone.

Thank you, for the translation for Pickpocket, but I believe the smiley indicated that Pickpocket was being deliberately obtuse.

And I liked Mad Max, and Ant-Man and Jurassic World, they're just not stratosphere material. If you want a list of overrated stuff you gotta start with Furious 7.

creaglu
335 Ratings

Post by creaglu »

These are my 2015-stamped ratings, but there are 3 more films I've seen this year that were "released" pre-2015.

They are

Whiplash (88) -- UK release 16 January
Wild Tales (88) -- UK release 27 March
Hard to Be a God (88) -- UK release 7 August
===
Top 5
1. Whiplash
2. Ex Machina
3. Wild Tales
4. Hard to Be a God
5. The Lobster

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

apparently i've seen 25 films from 2015 so far, of which 15 are features. here are the ones i found at least somewhat decent, two of them are shorts:

1. world of tomorrow
2. bitter lake
3. ex machina
4. no no sleep
5. it follows
6. what we do in the shadows

but there's an enormous amount i'm looking forward to seeing:

anomalisa (kaufman)
cemetery of splendour (weerasethakul)
eisenstein in guanajuato (greenaway)
evolution (hadzihalilovic)
exquisite corpus (tscherkassky)
forbidden room (maddin)
in jackson heights (wiseman)
light of the world (wyborny)
love (noé)
no home movie (akerman)
pearl button (gúzman)
taxi (panahi)

plus a bunch of others which could be good as well.

djross
5362 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I keep seeing The Lobster mentioned, which opened last May at Cannes, and is opening everywhere else including Antarctica before the US. They expect it not to do well here?

creaglu
335 Ratings

Post by creaglu »

Stewball wrote:I keep seeing The Lobster mentioned, which opened last May at Cannes, and is opening everywhere else including Antarctica before the US. They expect it not to do well here?

The pacing is very... European, to put it politely.

There is a really intriguing first act, a fairly odd middle third, and then a finale which draws itself on and on.

VinegarBob
4160 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

djross wrote:In a couple of weeks I hope to have time to see Knight of Cups, even though I was not so fond of To the Wonder.

Oh dear. Good luck with that.