Golden Globes 2016

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Neonman
2886 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Golden Globes 2016

Post by Neonman »

So another year of the hilarious Golden Globes are over again. I am so thankful for them, they bring me so much joy every year with their crazy winners and even crazier nominations. This year, as usual, was a blast. The Martian winning Best Comedy and Best Comedy Actor over The Big Short is once again proof of how entertaining the Golden Globes can make themselves (I guess the two actual best comedy films of the year, Inside Out and The Lobster, weren't eligible).
I'm not keen on The Revenant nabbing so many wins, it seems like the voters are too bowled over by the picturesque landscapes to consider the actual drama in the film is very underwhelming. I'm really hopeful that diCaprio does get the Oscar this year, so that everyone on the internet can stop making tired jokes about it.
I don't really care about the TV awards, though Lady Gaga winning (over Dunst in Fargo) intrigues me. Anyone see her in this show? Was it a knock-out sensational performance?

Full list: http://www.imdb.com/awards-central/golden-globes

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Re: Golden Globes 2016

Post by omgfridge »

Really happy with Mr. Robot winning in the tv drama section. Bit bummed for Maleck missing the actor nod but if anyone was to steal it from him I would of picked the man Jon Hamm.

I've seen a couple episodes of Horror Story which featured Gaga (I personally don't like the show), she seemed to do a fine job. I can't say if its award worthy as I haven't watched any of the other mini-series nominated.

The comedy/musical award is an absolute farce. Also The Martian sucks.

Sorkin writes arguably his worst screenplay and wins also.

Gotta love the Italian Stallion getting the win also. Really enjoyed his performance in Creed which I would of never expected.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

The only things I was rooting for were Leo losing and Jennifer Jason Leigh winning. Neither happened, but Kate Winslet won and acted like she's never been given an award before. You like me! You really like me!

These ceremonies are too cringe inducing to watch most of the time. I tend to mute and unmute based on who's speaking. Unmute for comedians, mute for big-A Actors. Leo takes himself so seriously it's embarrassing. And the Globes are the fun awards. People aren't nearly as drunk at the Oscars, where everyone will be dedicating their awards to various pet causes, regardless of whether or not they have anything to do with the movie they helped make. Leo dedicated his Globe to 'indigenous people everywhere.' Why did that bother me? Just grow a sack and say 'the Native Americans.' He will dedicate his Oscar "to Gaia, and habitable planets everywhere."

The folks associated with The Revenant are trying their best to equate difficulty with quality. No one made you shoot in natural light, eat raw buffalo liver, or bathe in your own filth. You did that for yourself. It hardly shows up on screen, if at all. That liver you ate could just as well have been a high protein chocolate/cherry Jello mold. No one would've been able to tell. I have a bit more sympathy for the peculiar decisions of a passionate director, but Leo is bordering on pointless self-indulgent parody. Has there been a South Park episode on him yet? "I haven't necessarily made a habit of it in my personal life, but for this particular project, we decided that actually committing real murders was the way to go. It lent an air of organic authenticity to the set that I don't think we would have been able to capture otherwise."

Woah I'm in a bad mood. I'll probably unleash some more indignance at Oscar time though.

MacSwell
2726 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I'm glad Brie Larson won - I haven't seen Room just yet, but she was so good in Short Term 12 and didn't receive any big award nominations for it.

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

I am disappointed that Jennifer Lawrence won for Joy. That was probably the worst movie she has been nominated for. It just seems like she wins every year now because she is the popular actress that everyone seems to like.

I am glad DiCaprio won for the Revenant. I have yet to see it but DiCaprio is my favorite actor and he is always a class act when it comes to awards and press tours.

It honestly does not seem like much will stand in the way of The Revenant continuing on with many more big wins on Oscar night ( going to try and see it before) and it looks like Leo may finally get his hands on that elusive statue. All in all, a fairly predictable awards ceremony but still a fun one none the less.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Bojangles wrote:These ceremonies are too cringe inducing to watch most of the time.

Yeah I'm not sure how anyone watches them. I tried to watch some of the speeches for shit I liked, which was few and far between since 2015 was a horrific year in film. Watching Sam Esmail's speech was terrible. When he thanked his bitch for "being his best friend" I about died and you could see her dry up too.

OMGFridge wrote:Really happy with Mr. Robot winning in the tv drama section.

Same but there was no competition. Outlander? Never even heard of that. That category looks exceptionally weak without Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

OMGFridge wrote:Gotta love the Italian Stallion getting the win also. Really enjoyed his performance in Creed which I would of never expected.

Is something wrong with him? He sounded like he had a stroke

Bojangles wrote:The folks associated with The Revenant are trying their best to equate difficulty with quality. No one made you shoot in natural light, eat raw buffalo liver, or bathe in your own filth. You did that for yourself. It hardly shows up on screen, if at all. That liver you ate could just as well have been a high protein chocolate/cherry Jello mold. No one would've been able to tell. I have a bit more sympathy for the peculiar decisions of a passionate director, but Leo is bordering on pointless self-indulgent parody. Has there been a South Park episode on him yet? "I haven't necessarily made a habit of it in my personal life, but for this particular project, we decided that actually committing real murders was the way to go. It lent an air of organic authenticity to the set that I don't think we would have been able to capture otherwise."

There's no competition for The Revenant. It was mediocre but is a movie where people drive in cars really going to win? Or how about the super relevant Catholic church scandal movie. Or Room, which no one has seen? No competition.

In regards to Leo, the guy has been in Hollywood since he was a kid and has ran through every mildly attractive woman within a 5 mile vicinity for 20+ years. If the guy wasn't a raging narcissist that would be the real surprise. If the guy has heard the word no in the past 20 years that would be shocking.

MacSwell
2726 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Pickpocket wrote:
OMGFridge wrote:Gotta love the Italian Stallion getting the win also. Really enjoyed his performance in Creed which I would of never expected.

Is something wrong with him? He sounded like he had a stroke.

Hasn't he sounded like that for years now?

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Maaxwell wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:

Is something wrong with him? He sounded like he had a stroke.

Hasn't he sounded like that for years now?

He didn't sound that bad in Escape Plan

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Pickpocket wrote:
Bojangles wrote:These ceremonies are too cringe inducing to watch most of the time.

Yeah I'm not sure how anyone watches them. I tried to watch some of the speeches for shit I liked, which was few and far between since 2015 was a horrific year in film. Watching Sam Esmail's speech was terrible. When he thanked his bitch for "being his best friend" I about died and you could see her dry up too.

OMGFridge wrote:Really happy with Mr. Robot winning in the tv drama section.

Same but there was no competition. Outlander? Never even heard of that. That category looks exceptionally weak without Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Is something wrong with him? He sounded like he had a stroke

Bojangles wrote:The folks associated with The Revenant are trying their best to equate difficulty with quality. No one made you shoot in natural light, eat raw buffalo liver, or bathe in your own filth. You did that for yourself. It hardly shows up on screen, if at all. That liver you ate could just as well have been a high protein chocolate/cherry Jello mold. No one would've been able to tell. I have a bit more sympathy for the peculiar decisions of a passionate director, but Leo is bordering on pointless self-indulgent parody. Has there been a South Park episode on him yet? "I haven't necessarily made a habit of it in my personal life, but for this particular project, we decided that actually committing real murders was the way to go. It lent an air of organic authenticity to the set that I don't think we would have been able to capture otherwise."

There's no competition for The Revenant. It was mediocre but is a movie where people drive in cars really going to win? Or a movie about 2 lezzie's munching box going to win? Or how about the super relevant Catholic church scandal movie. Or Room, which no one has seen? No competition.

In regards to Leo, the guy has been in Hollywood since he was a kid and has ran through every mildly attractive woman within a 5 mile vicinity for 20+ years. If the guy wasn't a raging narcissist that would be the real surprise. If the guy has heard the word no in the past 20 years that would be shocking.

I agree with the rest, but do you really think Father-gate is no longer relevant? Do you think they've stopped? As the movie points out, the real enablers were the congregants whose attitude toward priests equated them with gods...above question. And for that matter, isn't there probably enough need for exposure to go around to all the religions with their 2000+ year histories of corruption, obfuscation and indoctrination--before we even get to Islam?

Spotlight was an outstanding historical drama which didn't slant its punches like The Big Short, or was a hyper-gloomy exercise in pointlessness like The Revenant (which bear was a female btw).

Whenever anyone has a voice loud enough to be heard saying think before you emote, I'm all for it.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Even with The Revenant breezing though the Golden Globes, I don't see it winning anything at the Oscars besides Best Actor for Leo and maybe a couple technical awards like cinematography or sound mixing. The Revenant isn't the typical sort of thing the Oscar tends to reward, but then again neither is it for the Golden Globes either, which is why the wins were so surprising for me. Still putting my money down on Spotlight winning Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay.