Image Game Tournament 2017 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Image Game Tournament 2017 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by philamental »

Ok so the Tournament reveal has now taken place.

Main Thread is here ... https://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6216

Please keep the the main thread for the game itself and any questions, comments or discussion should be posted in here so the main thread is less cluttered and easier to follow.

Does anybody have any questions on how the tournament will work or how to play?

Also I would appreciate it if anyone who is interested in playing in the tournament would send me a DM before the tournament starts. While this isn't a prerequisite to play it will just give me an idea of the numbers in advance of starting and it will just give people practice of using the DM system in case it gives them problems. I expect a lot of the regular image game players will join in, but this is open to every criticker member.

My goals here have been to create a game that

1. doesn't depend on being the first to see the image being played. The DM system means that whether you see the image first or last, there is no advantage.

2. accommodates as many time zones as possible. No more missing out on an image that's been played and answered while you were asleep! Most of the regular image game players are in Europe or the USA. The time window system accommodates most players in those time zones fairly. If you live there or elsewhere and one of the time zones doesn't work for you, I'm sorry but I was never going to be able to satisfy everyone.

3. prevents Google Image Cheating. We play on the honour system in the regular image game, but with this tournament I've personally verified that none of the images can be Image Searched on Google. That's been the most time consuming part of this whole thing by far, however it will be worth it the effort as whoever wins will be a deserving winner without any question.

Also I want to give a quick public thank you to Rumplesink/Vinegarbob who helped me by assessing the timezone windows from a US perspective. I also need to publicly acknowledge the help that bowfinger has given me by being a sounding board for my ideas through a number of emails over the past few months since I first suggested the idea. His feedback and support have been invaluable and I can guarantee you that this final product wouldn't be as good without him .... but on the flip side of things, if it turns out to be shit, it's entirely his fault! :twisted:
Last edited by philamental on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Re: Image Game Tournament 2017 - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by bowfinger »

Been looking forward to this for months! Glad that it is finally here :)

philamental wrote:I also need to publicly acknowledge the help that bowfinger has given me by being a sounding board for my ideas through a number of emails over the past few months since I first suggested the idea. His feedback and support have been invaluable and I can guarantee you that this final product wouldn't be as good without him .... but on the flip side of things, if it turns out to be shit, it's entirely his fault! :twisted:

Haha! Appreciate the sentiment (especially the part about shit hitting the fan :lol:) but if this tournament was a Beatles song, I'd be Ringo's pinky, and you'd be Lennon's brain.

Merry Christmas all :)

JSchlansky
4285 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

Looking forward to this

CMonster
1443 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

This looks pretty awesome. Prepare your inbox for all my incorrect guesses that I never post because I know I'm wrong.

Detox
1971 Ratings

Post by Detox »

Oh man, this is great. But I guess I have to stay up all night now. :D

VinegarBob
4157 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Very much looking forward to this, but you may have shot yourself in the foot here, Phil - you're doing such a bang up job you might end up having to do it full time; accepted working practice and all that. :lol:

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

One thing I was wondering - are you still using the 500 ranking benchmark for your film choices?

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Sounds good, not sure how I'll go with the timezones but. RIP your inbox.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Maaxwell wrote:One thing I was wondering - are you still using the 500 ranking benchmark for your film choices?

I'm pretty sure this will be the case.