Screw indie/artsy director threads, let's talk Scott

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
doctor7
1979 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Screw indie/artsy director threads, let's talk Scott

Post by doctor7 »

Melvin Smif wrote:Pfft people seem to try and make 300 more than it was ever suppose to be. It is just a hard core action flick that isn't really meant inspire anything but the audience saying "wow that last kill was cool". Viewed through that lense I had fun watching it.

Well of course that's all it was.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

300 was a cool film. Great cinemaphotography, good action scenes, and several simultaneously awesome and funny scenes forever immortalized in popular culture. A solid 73.

tef
1361 Ratings

Post by tef »

I like Matchstick Men above most of the rest. Blade Runner was very good too. I haven't seen Alien or Aliens or Alien: Whatever, because scary movies don't really do much for me. (I'm a sociopath).

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Ridley Scott only directed the first Alien movie tef. Aliens was done by James Cameron of Terminator fame, Alien 3 was the directorial debut of David Fincher, and Alien Resurrection was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

omgfridge
2884 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Blade Runner is his best work.

Alien is better then Aliens for the record (I know he only directed Alien).

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

“People say I pay too much attention to the look of a movie but for God's sake, I'm not producing a Radio 4 Play for Today, I'm making a movie that people are going to look at. ”

pilgermann
1639 Ratings

Post by pilgermann »

doctor7 wrote:Yes, elements of the film were changed. When you're adapting to film you have to modify somewhat, no matter what the source. Ewan McGreggor's character was a pedophile who molested his own daughter. In order to receive military support for the film they changed his name. As well the U.N. Rescue was effectively glazed over which ignores the contribution of the Malaysian and Palestinian troops that rescued the US Soldiers.

It wasn't until I grasped an appreciate of formalist film techniques that I truly appreciated the action sequences and the entire movie in general. My standards were higher and, because of that, I appreciated the movie far more due to the amount of things I missed.

I asked my film professor about writing about BHD for a final essay about Hollywood cinema. Initially she was not only hesitant but actually suggested that I didn't because she remembered the film in such poor regard. It wasn't until I highlighted a few key points that she gave me a go-ahead for my paper. I received an A and she said that she gave me an entirely new appreciation for the film. It was pretty awesome, considering she was responsible for my understand for film as an art form.

The movie included the part where the guy shouts "RAY" and that's as much realism as I was hoping for (for some stupid reason a friend and I have always found it funny). Otherwise it's a good but exhausting film.

ShogunRua wrote:...and several simultaneously awesome and funny scenes forever immortalized in popular culture. A solid 73.

Unfortunately.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

My family are watching Blade Runner tonight. Up against The Kidnappers and Whistle Down the Wind. Stiff competition, imo.

JooJoo
6229 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I think you have your reviews of Alien & Aliens mixed up, hop. you should remedy that asap

JooJoo
6229 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

lol @ your last comment on Alien tho