Re: Roman Polanski

Post by Bojangles »

13 year olds dude...

edkrak
3747 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Post by edkrak »

It's kinda funny. Just a 2 days ago politicians in my country passed a bill about stricter laws for child molesters and now many of them are doing everything they can to release Polański. On the other hand it's weird why Swiss police caught him now, I guess they had many other opportunities to do that in the past. Probably Switzerland is trying to gain something from USA, I'm curious what's that exactly about?

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

what could polish politicians do?

anyway, my take on it: i really don't care what happened, he's a very talented director who's still working => he should be above the law 8-)

edkrak
3747 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

prowler wrote:what could polish politicians do?

I don't know if they could do anything, but that's ironic how they were talking about castrating pedophiles one day, and defending one 2 days after.

prowler wrote:anyway, my take on it: i really don't care what happened, he's a very talented director who's still working => he should be above the law 8-)

I don't know it's late, I'm tired and maybe I didn't get the joke. But if you're serious, that's absolutely most retarded sentence I've read on this forum.

whatismyname
2153 Ratings

Post by whatismyname »

If you haven't seen Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, check it out. The film doesn't try to excuse what he did, but gives a different point of view of the whole mess.

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

edkrak wrote:
prowler wrote:anyway, my take on it: i really don't care what happened, he's a very talented director who's still working => he should be above the law 8-)

I don't know it's late, I'm tired and maybe I didn't get the joke. But if you're serious, that's absolutely most retarded sentence I've read on this forum.

haha i wasn't serious. what i actually think is the situation is too complicated for any of us to judge. even if a film like "wanted and desired" brings things into the light for the ones who are interested (i'm not really one of them), you still won't be in the position to judge if what's happening now is right or not. meanwhile i'd like to continue enjoying the man's work, thank you very much.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

meh, i give him a pass. Having your parents murdered in the holocaust and you surviving it plus the Charles Manson stuff grants you one major fuck up in my book

frederic_g54
3014 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/09/28/2009-09-28_roman_polanskis_victim_now_45_got_over_it_long_ago.html

"In January, Geimer, who publicly forgave Polanski in 1997, filed a formal request
that Los Angeles prosecutors drop the charges against him"

and you'd think that'd solve the case...

miss jesus
2427 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

I can't believe that I feel like it's necessary to do this, but to speak for another viewpoint...

I know you young folks love taboo humor and ironic distance and all that stuff, but if any of you are as flippant as you sound, I strongly urge you to do anything you possibly can to engender some real empathy in yourselves, like, I don't know, go read the grand jury testimony? While this topic may be trifling to you, one in three women are the victims of sexual assault within their lifetimes. I can assure you that this isn't as funny or insignificant to everyone else in the world as it is to you.

She just wanted to be a model, and this piece of shit that she was afraid of from the beginning raped her twice and then fled the country instead of manning up and taking responsibility for his actions. This was not a case where a young girl made herself up to look older and tricked the man and then changed her mind when everything was actually quite nice. He knew she was 13. He talked to her mother on the phone before he raped her. There was one whole episode of penetration with crying and "no's" and "please stop"'s and then there was another one.

He doesn't get a free pass from me, not because of the time since he pled, not because of the zealous judge, not because of his job, and not because the victim is taking a passive stance about it now--and by the way it's not as if she's saying "I'm so glad my life went this way," she's been through the post-traumatic process and wants to stop having to relive it. If this jerkbag would come back to the US and take his lumps, maybe that could happen.

Edkrak, you probably know a lot of this already and I certainly don't mean to condescend, but to try to answer your question, the international community and the USA in particular are putting sudden and extreme pressure on Switzerland, due to the economic situation, to change its monetary policies because it is a tax haven and therefore a place where corporations and the insanely wealthy put their cash so that they don't have to pay taxes. There's been an American tax investigation of UBS, there were almost economic sanctions, and it looks like Switzerland is going to comply with these pressures through their own taxation system but nothing is solid yet... I'm guessing the Polanski grab was a good way for them to show that they're compliant about now.